Fluval Evo Build 13.5

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the koralia 2040 power head, do you think that is a good fit?
what in the world is filter floss? haha this is the seond time someone had said that.
is your tank hoodless now since upgrading the lighting ?
2040 seems a bit big. I can't find that specific one on Google. We have the hydor koralia nano 425. As far as a skimmer goes we don't have one on the tank but we want to get one. We have gone without one for 9 months without any issues.

OP
OP
Katydives

Katydives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it come with the little skimmer? Typically with these tanks you can upgrade the return pump to something more powerful. What sort of lights does it have on it? Strong enough for reefs? I would run a little koralia or jeabeo in the tank as well. For filter media there are many options. I am a fan of using carbon and filter floss. sometimes chemi pure as well.

it doesnt, many people use the fluval mini skimmer for this tank but mini also say its almost useless for a tank this size. i want to upgrad the pump to something more powerful. i do have a koralia 240 circulation pump. the lighting is integrated led lighting 14,000k supposed to be adequate for reef systems

OP
OP
Katydives

Katydives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2040 seems a bit big. I can't find that specific one on Google. We have the hydor koralia nano 425. As far as a skimmer goes we don't have one on the tank but we want to get one. We have gone without one for 9 months without any issues.
240*** sorry only a couple hundered gph since its a small tank.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add about filter floss.. here is a picture and a link to what we buy.
Screenshot_20180118-163557.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B...lter+floss&dpPl=1&dpID=41N8j94USZL&ref=plSrch

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank does come with a pump, but id like to give my tank every thing it needs to not fail on me lol. The stock pump pushes out 55-80 gph i believe. a stronger pump couldnt hurt right? so it comes with the sponge thing that has the holes in it to put the bags in, when you say i should get a media basket are you talking about the plastic rectangle thing that comes out and holds each bag of stuff? im sorry if these are stupid questions perhaps i should be in the begginers section if there is one?

This is what I am talking about in regards to a media basket: https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-13-5-CHAMBER-Media-Basket/dp/B0716K5ZMM
They appear to come in chamber one and chamber two styles for the Evo 13.5 :)

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it doesnt, many people use the fluval mini skimmer for this tank but mini also say its almost useless for a tank this size. i want to upgrad the pump to something more powerful. i do have a koralia 240 circulation pump. the lighting is integrated led lighting 14,000k supposed to be adequate for reef systems
Stick with integrated lighting to begin with. Can always change it at a later date should you feel the need to.

Question for you now :)

What do you plan to stock, what do you like the look of.

Any plans on Rock etc

For your info bulk reef supply are in process of setting up a ultra low maintenance tank. Doing weekly videos on a Friday. They have the thread on here and vids on YouTube. Recommended watching even if just for tips.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

May I ask how you heard about our forum? :)

geniusgio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. I currently own a Fluval Evo 13.5 and I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have and let you know what works and what doesn’t. Feel free to message me at anytime

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Prime HD would be a cool light for that tank, although a little powerful for it. You can program intensity, sunrise/set, and moonlight settings on a smartphone. Only thing about nano tanks is, frequent water changes seem to be key since its difficult to maintain stable water parameters with them.

The stock pump is probably fine if you arrange your rockwork in a way where there aren't dead zones (with the corals you've listed). Excited to see your progress!

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Katie and Welcome, I have a thread that walks through my journey with this fun little tank so far. Please let me know any questions and I would be happy to help. I went for a new light right away, but looking back, I could have waited. I am also happy with my auto top of system, I believe that was a good purchase. I also got the skimmer from Fluval at first, and ended up removing it and it has just been sitting in the box on the shelf for 3months now

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/shines-fluval-sea-evo.326666/

OP
OP
Katydives

Katydives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Prime HD would be a cool light for that tank, although a little powerful for it. You can program intensity, sunrise/set, and moonlight settings on a smartphone. Only thing about nano tanks is, frequent water changes seem to be key since its difficult to maintain stable water parameters with them.

The stock pump is probably fine if you arrange your rockwork in a way where there aren't dead zones (with the corals you've listed). Excited to see your progress!

I actually have the AI prime Hd light on my list for later down the road, figured the 14,000k lighting that came with the tank would suffice for now. I love love love my nanos, even though the water changes are a pain lol but thats okay, as far as dead spots i have the koralia 240 for some extra flow. im going to pick up LR saturday! :)

OP
OP
Katydives

Katydives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Katie and Welcome, I have a thread that walks through my journey with this fun little tank so far. Please let me know any questions and I would be happy to help. I went for a new light right away, but looking back, I could have waited. I am also happy with my auto top of system, I believe that was a good purchase. I also got the skimmer from Fluval at first, and ended up removing it and it has just been sitting in the box on the shelf for 3months now

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/shines-fluval-sea-evo.326666/

what did you choose for lighting? i have the AI prime HD on my list for later, i read alot about people not feeling the skimmer worked well enough to even use, so i think ill skip that and see how it goes? what ATO are you using?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 164 73.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 38 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back