Fluval Evo Build 13.5

Katydives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased a fluval evo 13.5 tank. planning a nano reef, need suggestions on media for filtration, pumps ect. if anyone is willing to help me out i would be so grateful. This is not my first nano so im not completely clueless, but could really use some advice !

thanks for reading !

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stock pump for those tanks is pretty good right off the bat, but if you don't have a pump then I believe the cobalt mj 1200 and sicce 1.5 pumps are good options. The sicce is super quiet but a bit pricier than the cobalt.

I would suggest getting a media basket for the tank and running filter floss that you buy in bulk and cut to size and other filter media such as chemipure blue nano, phosphate reducing filter pads, etc. The fluval branded stuff made especially for this tank can be a bit pricey long term and there's no shame in saving money in this hobby :)

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it come with the little skimmer? Typically with these tanks you can upgrade the return pump to something more powerful. What sort of lights does it have on it? Strong enough for reefs? I would run a little koralia or jeabeo in the tank as well. For filter media there are many options. I am a fan of using carbon and filter floss. sometimes chemi pure as well.

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing to do is goto the member tank sub forum and start a build thread. Lots of us have them and its a great historical record from start to eternity of the tank.

Someone can link the thread on how to get your badge for your build thread since my search-fu sucks today. Lol

OP
OP
Katydives

Katydives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stock pump for those tanks is pretty good right off the bat, but if you don't have a pump then I believe the cobalt mj 1200 and sicce 1.5 pumps are good options. The sicce is super quiet but a bit pricier than the cobalt.

I would suggest getting a media basket for the tank and running filter floss that you buy in bulk and cut to size and other filter media such as chemipure blue nano, phosphate reducing filter pads, etc. The fluval branded stuff made especially for this tank can be a bit pricey long term and there's no shame in saving money in this hobby :)

The tank does come with a pump, but id like to give my tank every thing it needs to not fail on me lol. The stock pump pushes out 55-80 gph i believe. a stronger pump couldnt hurt right? so it comes with the sponge thing that has the holes in it to put the bags in, when you say i should get a media basket are you talking about the plastic rectangle thing that comes out and holds each bag of stuff? im sorry if these are stupid questions perhaps i should be in the begginers section if there is one?

OP
OP
Katydives

Katydives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing to do is goto the member tank sub forum and start a build thread. Lots of us have them and its a great historical record from start to eternity of the tank.

Someone can link the thread on how to get your badge for your build thread since my search-fu sucks today. Lol

badge for a build threas? so i have to get approval or something to create
thread?

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the same tank. The changes we made were, we added a nano powerhead, we put a bag of cemipure blue in the first chamber along with a piece of filter floss. Oh we also have a heater in the last chamber where the pump is. We upgraded the lighting to a current orbit marine light.

OP
OP
Katydives

Katydives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the same tank. The changes we made were, we added a nano powerhead, we put a bag of cemipure blue in the first chamber along with a piece of filter floss. Oh we also have a heater in the last chamber where the pump is. We upgraded the lighting to a current orbit marine light.

i have the koralia 2040 power head, do you think that is a good fit?
what in the world is filter floss? haha this is the seond time someone had said that.
is your tank hoodless now since upgrading the lighting ?

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased a fluval evo 13.5 tank. planning a nano reef, need suggestions on media for filtration, pumps ect. if anyone is willing to help me out i would be so grateful. This is not my first nano so im not completely clueless, but could really use some advice !

thanks for reading !
Nice tank just looked it up. I've just started a 10g fusion myself.

RE filter chamber, something like this. https://www.fishpond.co.uk/9999219018495?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=ps&utm_campaign=UK but for USA obviously. Sorry I'm across the pond.

Carbon and floss etc can be added to Chambers. Really good.

The pump, yes can upgrade etc but I'd look in to how many gph the weir will take first before spending. If its not much more than night not be worth changing it.

Fluval do skimmers for that tank so could look into one of their own. Tunze do compact skimmers which are good.
I went for ghost skimmer on mine. Not the best but does what I need it to.

Other option is to go skimmerless or maybe use a miracle mud based system.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And... I really recommend an ATO and rox 0.8 carbon.

OP
OP
Katydives

Katydives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank just looked it up. I've just started a 10g fusion myself.

RE filter chamber, something like this. https://www.fishpond.co.uk/9999219018495?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=ps&utm_campaign=UK but for USA obviously. Sorry I'm across the pond.

Carbon and floss etc can be added to Chambers. Really good.

The pump, yes can upgrade ether but I'd look in to how many gph the weir will take first before spending. If its not much more than night not be worth changing it.

Fluval do skimmers for that tank so could look into one of their own. Tunze do compact skimmers which are good.
I went for ghost skimmer on mine. Not the best but does what I need it to.

Other option is to go skimmerless or maybe use a miracle mud based system.

alot of people were saying the fluval mini skimmer or something was good for this tank, but that a skimmer wasnt truly necessary for it ?

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alot of people were saying the fluval mini skimmer or something was good for this tank, but that a skimmer wasnt truly necessary for it ?
Its not, you can go skimmerless and just do regular small water changes. Or as I say miracle mud option and maybe small fuge. Plenty of ways to customize the tank.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good thing with a small tank is you can mix a 20litre bucket of salt water and it will last a couple of months doing couple or so litre water changes.

Plenty of options these days to keep nutrients at bay but don't be too harsh on nutrient reduction. I've fallen foul of it and tanks have gone south far quicker than with heavier nutrient loads.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back