Fluval Evo V aquarium journal

deron_d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I have successfully maintained several pico/nano freshwater setups over the years. Now, I’ve decided to go with a saltwater pico tank in my kid’s room.

The aquarium is a Fluval Evo V.

We’ve been running for just over a month.

Started the tank with Caribsea live sand, Caribsea life rock.

Cycled with Dr. Tim’s bacteria and ammonia protocol.

Upgrades/Equipment
Intank media chamber
VCA random flow generator
Newa MN606 pump
Hygger 50w mini in-line quartz heater
Inkbird temperature controller
Meross smart plug to control stock lighting

Stock
1 - Ocellaris Clown - “Nemo”
1 - Firefish goby - “Fred”
1 - Skunk cleaner shrimp - “Sam”
1 - Dwarf Trochus snail
2 - Nassarius snails
2 - Blue-legged hermits

Future Goals
1. Increase clean up crew as needed.
2. Increase coral.
3. Grow out the livestock and transition them to 32g Biocube. Alternatively, give these back to LFS for store credit and run juveniles back through it.

Intank setup
1. Filter floss (changed twice per week on Wednesday and Sunday)
2. Chemipure Blue
3. Seachem Matrix

Water changes
25% weekly on Sunday

Last edited:
OP
OP
deron_d

deron_d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diatoms outbreak seems to be doing a little better. Hoping it clears up completely in a few days! Here is a video of the feeding today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
deron_d

deron_d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little Friday 13th scare. Gloria the Royal Gramma seems to have some issue with her tail. Wasn’t there yesterday, so I’m guessing (read hoping) it’s just lost scales from the rocks.

OP
OP
deron_d

deron_d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke a bit soon. I observed the fish "flashing" repetitively later in the evening against the sand. I intend to dose the aquarium with PraziPro. Have it on order, hopefully she makes it until then. :face-with-rolling-eyes:

OP
OP
deron_d

deron_d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor Gloria didn’t make it. The PraziPro didn’t arrive in time. This morning, she was barely breathing, and unable to swim. I scooped out and did a freshwater dip. Tons of flukes in the water. I am thinking to dose the tank when it arrives to be sure that the clown isn’t infected.

On a positive note, I put some growth shells in the aquarium and one of the hermits swapped shells.

Last edited:
OP
OP
deron_d

deron_d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

I have been dozing the PraziPro in display. This is a small tank and I don’t have a quarantine tank anyway. I am hoping that as I grow in the hobby maybe that’s what this will become.

I have added a firefish goby a skunk cleaner shrimp. I also purchased some cheaper coral frags. Frogspawn, zoa, mushroom, Kenya tree. Curious on thoughts of placement or whether I should even just get rid of some of it.

Ideas, thoughts?

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

I have been dozing the PraziPro in display. This is a small tank and I don’t have a quarantine tank anyway. I am hoping that as I grow in the hobby maybe that’s what this will become.

I have added a firefish goby a skunk cleaner shrimp. I also purchased some cheaper coral frags. Frogspawn, zoa, mushroom, Kenya tree. Curious on thoughts of placement or whether I should even just get rid of some of it.

Ideas, thoughts?

You can take them off the disc and glue them wherever you want. If you can find a nice hole for it to rest in that also works. You can't directly glue mushrooms or leathers to rocks or they'll just slime up and fall off the rocks though

OP
OP
deron_d

deron_d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while since I provided an update!

The tank is progressing nicely.

I added a yellowtail damselfish and some additional coral pieces, as well as glued them down.

Still need to add more coral to this tank as budget and time allow.

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks really nice. Seems like alot of fish for a 5g, how is the tank handling it bioload wise and is there any aggression with them all in a smaller space?

Alsooo - How do you like that random flow nozzle. Might be something worth investing for my own tank

Thanks for the update!

OP
OP
deron_d

deron_d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, it's okay though it's obviously not at all recommended. However, I would say everybody seems pretty happy and there's no aggression that I observed. I do water changes of 1 gallon per week religiously, and overall things are going well. I haven't noticed metrics significantly out of bounds, although I must admit that I have a crappy API test kit and I don't test as much as I should. I have longer term goals of getting a larger tank, and hopefully transfer some of these guys into it, as they continue to grow.

Regarding the random flow nozzle, I have liked it better than the stock nozzle I would say it's definitely worth it. The only issue I had when ordering was that the first one that came was a little loose and wouldn't stay on. I e-mailed them and they mailed me a new one free of charge.

Like you I've been reluctant to add a wave maker in the small tank. Haven't found one that I didn't think would be too much power. I'm on the Newa MN-606. I'm trying to find a Cobalt or Newa 606 that I can keep on reserve in case something went wrong with this pump.

Also like you, considering moving the heater to underneath the filtration to make sure the tank temperature is what it should be. It's just a pain to do, so haven't done it yet.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • None.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%
Back