Fluval PS1 Protein Skimmer

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40G breeder that I want to throw a protein skimmer onto. I was looking at the Fluval PS1. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with that? Also, any suggestions for a skimmer for my tank size.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this for about a month

Can't recommend it but its one less to consider. I have gone skimmerless since then and rely on my sump/fuge and a algae reactor.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one on a 30 Gal and it worked alright. Tuning the thing was a different story. Mine always ran wet skim. Like it would be dark brown, Just always wet.
Does it matter that it was wet? I’m new sorry for the ignorant questions

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it matter that it was wet? I’m new sorry for the ignorant questions

No you're all good. For me I didn't mind it I just had to empty the collection cup about 1 to 2 times a week. Plus I never saw any drops in my salinity.

I was honestly impressed with mine for the price it was. Yeah it was wet skim but the water was pretty Yellowish Brown, so it did its job.

I dont use it anymore do to moving to a refugium. But it was good at what it did.

From what I've read though is that they can be hit or miss which is a shame.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you're all good. For me I didn't mind it I just had to empty the collection cup about 1 to 2 times a week. Plus I never saw any drops in my salinity.

I was honestly impressed with mine for the price it was. Yeah it was wet skim but the water was pretty Yellowish Brown, so it did its job.

I dont use it anymore do to moving to a refugium. But it was good at what it did.

From what I've read though is that they can be hit or miss which is a shame.
Ok, yea I see them for a decent price and I can just go into the store to get. So how do I know I have a good skimmer?

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, yea I see them for a decent price and I can just go into the store to get. So how do I know I have a good skimmer?

I guess that comes down to you. To me a skimmer should remove organics from the water, by doing so this will turn the collection cup brown or a yellow tinge. My experience I tried to get the bubbles to pop right on the lip of the cup and just let it run. I'd give it a hour and check back to see if it was skimming anything and sure enough I was collecting brown crud. But sometimes I'd have to re-tune it and wait again. Eventually it would be at a good level and I'd leave it there.

One thing I would add, this is a in-tank skimmer so you have to maintain the water level you adjust the skimmer to. I used a ATO for this.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that comes down to you. To me a skimmer should remove organics from the water, by doing so this will turn the collection cup brown or a yellow tinge. My experience I tried to get the bubbles to pop right on the lip of the cup and just let it run. I'd give it a hour and check back to see if it was skimming anything and sure enough I was collecting brown crud. But sometimes I'd have to re-tune it and wait again. Eventually it would be at a good level and I'd leave it there.

One thing I would add, this is a in-tank skimmer so you have to maintain the water level you adjust the skimmer to. I used a ATO for this.
Okay, so the gathering or how well the skimmer puts that brown stuff in the cup is the measure of how well a skimmer works. Got you

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back