Food for blue throat trigger

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recently added one to our tank. We currently feed a mix of frozen (different types), flake/pellet mix and nori sheets since we have tangs, etc. The blue throat was eating in QT when we got it, but is there any specific foods I should make sure to include in our feeding routine for the trigger? Want to make sure he stays nice and healthy.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed homemade frozen along with a bit of LRS 3 times a day. He's fat and happy, prefers the chunky pieces. Won't touch pellets or flakes

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed homemade frozen along with a bit of LRS 3 times a day. He's fat and happy, prefers the chunky pieces. Won't touch pellets or flakes

I saw him go after a couple pellets but not many. I have plenty of multiple types of frozen that's for sure.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Meaty foods

Mysis shrimp
Plankton
LRS fish frenzy
Spirulina brine shrimp
Clam
Mussel

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a blue throat trigger story. We had one and named it Mimi (like from the drew Carey show). One day I couldn't find her in my tank. Looked around and found her on the floor behind the tank. Wasn't moving and looked dead. I couldn't reach her and the phone rang. About 5-10 minutes later I got a pair of tongs so I could get Mimi and giver her a proper burial. When I picked her up she moved, I put her back in the tank and she took off. She looked pretty bad for a week or two and then looked great. She lasted another 2-3 years after that near death experience. BTW mine ate about anything I would put in the tank, frozen, pellets, and greens.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A high protein varied diet is best for triggers, including blue throat. You can get some of Rod's mix, or do your own seafood shopping and chop up some squid, shrimp, scallop, krill, salmon in food processor, then mix in mysis shrimp, nori, anything else you can find. Mix well, add garlic guard, then freeze in freezer bags flat to make your own.

Dlefty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but I am having trouble feeding anything but flake to my female blue throat. Mean while my male btt devours anything which includes frozen mysis, spiralina brine, krill, mega marine... She just takes a bite and spits it out :astonished-face:. I end up having to get out the flake and then she goes to town. The two btt I purchased this past February from a reputable lfs. The male swims like a bat out of hell all day. The female just hangs out. Any help would be great!

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them? And are they bonded pair when you pick them up?
I had the opposite- female was much more comfortable and exploratory than the male I acquired later (original male died). The male was shy and finicky but then it slowly grow bolder and is now equal to all tankmates. Bluethroats are very hardy, give them time and they’ll find a way. I hve only ever lost them to carpet surfs

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I know this is an old thread but I am having trouble feeding anything but flake to my female blue throat. Mean while my male btt devours anything which includes frozen mysis, spiralina brine, krill, mega marine... She just takes a bite and spits it out :astonished-face:. I end up having to get out the flake and then she goes to town. The two btt I purchased this past February from a reputable lfs. The male swims like a bat out of hell all day. The female just hangs out. Any help would be great!
Try live ghost shrimp although male may grab first. They will devout mysis shrimp, krill, LRS chunky diet, Rods original formula, fresh scallops and shrimp

Dlefty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them? And are they bonded pair when you pick them up?
I had the opposite- female was much more comfortable and exploratory than the male I acquired later (original male died). The male was shy and finicky but then it slowly grow bolder and is now equal to all tankmates. Bluethroats are very hardy, give them time and they’ll find a way. I hve only ever lost them to carpet surfs
I have had the two since 2/11/23. Yes they were bonded and were at the LFS for 4 or 5 months. Yeah I am hoping she with be eating some carnivores treats like her male mate!

Dlefty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try live ghost shrimp although male may grab first. They will devout mysis shrimp, krill, LRS chunky diet, Rods original formula, fresh scallops and shrimp
Where do you get live ghost shrimp? I am going to try some LRS fish frenzy tomorrow.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Dlefty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried either frozen or freeze dried krills?
Yes the frozen krill is fed to the fish daily. I fed them LRS Fish Frenzy for lunch today. She took bites and blew it out but then took it back in. So I am not to sure if I was successful because she didn't go after it like she does with flake. Some more time will be needed to see the result....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back