Food For Lions

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a healthy feeder mix for a tank with a lion and a puffer? Live fish to start and work towards frozen (silvers and krill from what is said so far). I don't own any yet, just looking for info. Im not sure if I want to invest in a feeder tank unless I just have 0 luck leaning them into frozen.

Last edited:

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have and what kind of lion are planning on getting?

You can definitely just buy raw frozen shrimp from the store, just don’t let that be the only thing you feed it. I started my Russell’s lion on small silversides then worked in raw shrimp and smelts from the grocery store. Most lions are greedy and easy to feed once they are used to being fed prepared foods. Mine got to the point that it would eat large NLS pellets along with the thawed frozen fish and shrimp.

IMO I would avaoid feeding live foods, they can bring parasites and diseases in the tank.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have and what kind of lion are planning on getting?

You can definitely just buy raw frozen shrimp from the store, just don’t let that be the only thing you feed it. I started my Russell’s lion on small silversides then worked in raw shrimp and smelts from the grocery store. Most lions are greedy and easy to feed once they are used to being fed prepared foods. Mine got to the point that it would eat large NLS pellets along with the thawed frozen fish and shrimp.

IMO I would avaoid feeding live foods, they can bring parasites and diseases in the tank.
90g
Priority order of the type of lion I'd like is:
Radiata-> Antennata -> Russel Lionfish
with a
Blue Spotted -> Saddle Puffer

Would the shrimp shells be enough for the puffer teeth or do I have to mix in something else from time to time specifically for them?

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the shrimp shelled when I fed the lion.

I’m not sure if shrimp shells are tough enough to wear down puffer teeth. I would think you still may have to feed clams or something along those lines to wear down the teeth.

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the shrimp shelled when I fed the lion.

I’m not sure if shrimp shells are tough enough to wear down puffer teeth. I would think you still may have to feed clams or something along those lines to wear down the teeth.
I saw a place where you can get baby clams for 8 cents online.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word of advice, that Lion fish most likely will not take anything frozen to start. When you get the fish grab some live Ghost Shrimp to get it to start eating at all, after a couple days offer it some thawed frozen food, but as mention by someone else, you have to mix the diet up...If you get it to take Silver Slides try stuffing the feeder fish with some dry vietamin rich food, and once it eats frozen don't offer it live food again...and it will only eat what it can fit in its mouth whole...Also, it depends on what type of Lion you are getting, Volitans are the most hardiest and fast growers, the others have certain issues.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used many feeding set ups through the years, presently I have a 10g fresh water set up that I keep mollies, ghosties, and guppies in. I've done the sw route, have bred my own in fresh and sw. You really have find what works for you, your budget and your time, and what's available to you. Keeping a fresh water feeding tank is the safest, period, fresh water diseases will not(or I have never seen) transfer to your marine tank. While parasites may be present in fw fish as well, lions especially have a strong gut, maybe strong enough to protect from fw parasites. But I have seen more than I can count, predators dying from parasites from marine fish, ich and velvet. Sw mollies get ich pretty easily.

Have you posted details about your feeding setup anywhere?

How many are you able to keep in the 10g? Do they reproduce fast enough or are you purchasing and then holding in the 10g?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you posted details about your feeding setup anywhere?

How many are you able to keep in the 10g? Do they reproduce fast enough or are you purchasing and then holding in the 10g?

You can search around for info on many post, I don't have any saved to post. I use the same tank for my feeders for lions, scorps, and anglers. The lfs I get my live food from is just a couple miles away, I will go once a week to once every 5 days or so. In the 10g I can house 50-70 ghosties, 10-20 guppies with 4 fancy guppies or 4 smaller mollies, and 4 large mollies. I don't breed anything now, I spend alot of money but i just don't have the time now.

A 10g or a even smaller depending on how much you are keeping, with just a sponge filter. Ghosties and guppies aren't very picky.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back