Foods for fish and reef

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Weve seen a lot of new lights, pumps, additives, filters and more released periodically but what about foods?
I realize, there are many good diets out there and despite the pandemic through 2020, we survived when it came to nutrition and a time when restaurants who serve foods for humans were hurting, not the reef industry when it came to foods.
It is apparent as with sales of fish during pandemic, both fish and foods held their own. As reefers discover the value and need for fish nutrition, they have made their own foods and ingredients to assure freshness and nutritional needs. The fact is, frozen fish food appeals to reef and marine hobbyists and solidifies that reefers are the main ones buying frozen foods for their tanks and are saltwater hobbyists VS fresh.
The newest or most recent line offered was the bio-Pure line of frozen foods by Hikari featuring Spirulina mysis shrimp. It will be interesting to see what if any new foods are offered before the end of calendar year 2021

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My feel like fish nutrition is overlooked by beginners (and probably others!) but definitely important. I have seen too many fish that look starved or fed just flake or something. I think it something we always need to stress the importance of. There have been posts here of butterflies in particular with nutrition deficiencies. I wish the LFS did a better job with feeding too.

The options we have now are so much better then years ago. Just need to make sure everyone else knows about them too and how it will help their fish stay optimal health and fight disease.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Especially with smaller fish whereas so many state fish not doing well to find they are feeding pellet, flake and brine shrimp. Main fish I often see thin are tangs, clowns, butterflies and gobies.
The common statement we all see " My fish are eating good". Does not constitute proper diet and immunity health

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 75 37.7%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back