OP
OP
Foothill Corals

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank build! Have you transferred and coral to the DT yet?

Thanks.

I have been taking it slow. No fish yet, the only coral is a small toadstool that IPSF threw in as a freeby with an order of Pods. The ugly phase is ending and spots of coraline are popping up now. No plans on transferring colonies from the old tank only frags, this is going to be a fresh start. I should have a bunch of Zoas a Torch and a few RFAs today when UPS shows up. I'm getting shipments from WWC, Cherry Corals and Corals.com its going to be a fun day. The plan is to put some colorful Zoas and RFAs around the base of the rocks and save the rocks for Acros. It's nice I have a ton of (rock) real estate in this tank, ran out of room way too fast in the last tank.

As far as fish go... It's been really frustrating trying to get fish locally. I have a 20 long QT set up just need to find something to put in it. I may end up transferring my current fish first but will need to tear their tank apart to catch them. On a positive note by not having any fish in there the tank has a HUGE population of pods.

I haven't been keeping this thread up to date. I will try to find some time to get some pics of the sump area and also the equipment cabinet that is on the other side of the wall behind the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Foothill Corals

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 Month update:

The tank is doing well now the ugly stage is over, that took a while. I’ve been adding Zoas and Acros mainly, they have been doing pretty well the Sapphire milli and Oregon Tort have been in there for a month now. Though the tank can support them it is too new for them to color up well, it’s too clean I need more fish.

I tried to keep things very simple and everything easy to work on. I put the sump at the front of the stand, there is still a lot of room behind it for adding equipment in the future if needed. The filter bags are easy to get to from the front or side. Plumbing is 1 1/2" for the secondary and emergency lines, 1" for siphon and return.

untitled (3 of 12).jpg

untitled (2 of 12).jpg

untitled (12 of 34).jpg

untitled (2 of 34).jpg

untitled (21 of 34).jpg
untitled (20 of 34).jpg
untitled (23 of 34).jpg

I have all these Zoas on these ceramic rocks that I am not sure what to do with. For now I just have them at the base of the rocks wich may look ok after they grow out but I think they look odd rite now.

untitled (16 of 34).jpg

I had these RFAs on a small rubble island but they never settled in and wandered all over until they found the main rock work where they settled rite in.:rolleyes:
untitled (26 of 34).jpg

untitled (27 of 34).jpg

Not sure if I want to call it Shaggy or The Woolly Mammoth? This is what happens when you keep a turbinaria in too much flow. It is a torus shape like a hollow donut the fish can actually swim though it.

untitled (32 of 34).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Foothill Corals

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build looks to be going along great. Nice work.

Very nice build. We all learn/improve from previous builds. Best of luck with the tank. J

Thanks

I need to update this. I have moved some around, removed a few and added a lot of new frags. I got a pack last week and am getting a large pack tomorrow, starting to run out of room. I'll get the camera out in a few weeks.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great! Very clean setup also.

Do you have any regrets about using the white starboard on the bottom of the tank? Would you of went with a different color?

OP
OP
Foothill Corals

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great! Very clean setup also.

Do you have any regrets about using the white starboard on the bottom of the tank? Would you of went with a different color?

Thanks

It is not starboard. It's an acrylic tank nothing on the bottom. I left the protective paper the comes on the acrylic from the manufacture on the (outside) bottom of the tank. It looked more tan (like sand) when new but is looking pretty much purple these days. The entire back wall is purple now also.

Basically I don't think it matters what you put on the bottom it will be covered in coraline algae anyways.

OP
OP
Foothill Corals

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never scraped it or done any thing to clean it. It went from having a few spots to just being covered. It's actually starting to concern me I'm having to clean the three viewing walls every few days or they start getting purple spots on them. If anyone doubts that coraline in a bottle works I can assure you that it does.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never scraped it or done any thing to clean it. It went from having a few spots to just being covered. It's actually starting to concern me I'm having to clean the three viewing walls every few days or they start getting purple spots on them. If anyone doubts that coraline in a bottle works I can assure you that it does.
I can second that the one brand that advertises that its bottled the day it ships does actually work. I added the bottle to a one month old tank with dry rock and within 2 weeks I had little chicken pox on the rocks, and now, 2 months later, I have pink purple and red coraline the size of pencil erasers and they are growing quickly.

OP
OP
Foothill Corals

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been struggling with low P04 and nitrate. I added two more tangs a few weeks ago so hopefully they help I have stopped dosing phosphate and nitrate. I am going to give it a few weeks to see the result, may still have to dose.

untitled (109 of 121).jpg

untitled (102 of 121).jpg

untitled (115 of 121).jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back