For all the China box haters out there. You might want to see this.

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep exactly My 150 tall I have (or will after this weekend) 4 mars aqua Leds up there since the tank is so deep. I would need 4 AI hydra 52s on there to accomplish the same. Sure the Hydra52 is a better light I guess (to be decided another day) but at 599 each thats $2396 to light my tank with them vs the 400 paid for the china boxes. 1 of the china boxes I have was from my old tank so its well over a year old and still going strong. Even if it crapped tomorrow 100 bucks is a price I can live with.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every brand wether its expensive or not uses parts made from china so i have no idea were this thread is heading
Who knows. For me when it comes to lighting I'm referring to the Actual Led part it self/how accurate the spectrum is produced and not the rest of the parts that make up said fixture. Plus Who's design is the originator of the electronics is more important than who puts it together. Oh well:rolleyes::confused::cool::cool:

hejjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have an ATI light hanging over my tank.. But I would never pay thousands on a single fixture. That's insane. China box ftw!!!

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEP ballasts for ATI dimmable sun power fixtures are made in China (original or replacement parts)
Same for the relays, also made in China.

I was quite disappointed when I found out this!

A sunpower consists of the following:

Shell (it's just aluminum so who cares?)
Ballast (HEP) not made in China
Reflectors (analod miro silver) made in Germany
Endcaps (plastic) probably China
Wire (who cares it's wire?)
Fans (what fan other than Noctua is not made in China now?) Answer: pretty much none.

So the least most important things are probably made in China which have no effect on the performance. Who cares?

michaelrc51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who knows. For me when it comes to lighting I'm referring to the Actual Led part it self/how accurate the spectrum is produced and not the rest of the parts that make up said fixture. Plus Who's design is the originator of the electronics is more important than who puts it together. Oh well:rolleyes::confused::cool::cool:

Well, the design and even the production will impact how the light works and how accurate the spectrum is produced. That was my point.

Bombman- I can see how you started this thread looking too hear what other people had to say but it seems that you already have the answers you were looking for.
If you want a direct comparison get some other units and record your results......It's that simple.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bobman just killed it lol
He far from killed it.. He just posted basic info.. If he wants to "kill it" post pics for quality and run par meters.. Do a full run down not just a rant I'd like clarity.. Otherwise the comparison is to what a few websites say.. Cool

And I'll add in an edit and say mostly what I got from this forum is that people see countries other then China as good at engineering so is that true?

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the design and even the production will impact how the light works and how accurate the spectrum is produced. That was my point.

Bombman- I can see how you started this thread looking too hear what other people had to say but it seems that you already have the answers you were looking for.
If you want a direct comparison get some other units and record your results......It's that simple.

Yes I already have my mind made up on this it was not a question. More a topic for discussion. See what others think. It was never supposed to be anything more than that.

With your statement on how the design and production will impact how the light works as well as the spectrum is 1 i fully agree with. T5 is easy as they are all made pretty much the same at the end of the day. Some parts may be made better but in the end what makes a t5ho a t5ho is the same. Leds are a lot more complex and going to take a lot more digging into what they actually have before I can comment. Each is made very differently so it will take some research a lot deeper than just a lookie on the interweb. I might actually have to open some up

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He far from killed it.. He just posted basic info.. If he wants to "kill it" post pics for quality and run par meters.. Do a full run down not just a rant I'd like clarity.. Otherwise the comparison is to what a few websites say.. Cool

And I'll add in an edit and say mostly what I got from this forum is that people see countries other then China as good at engineering so is that true?

Send me your ati fixture and I would love to run some par numbers. But I am not spending the money that would take to prove my point nor was it supposed to be my point. I am sure the crappy hydro light will produce more than capable par to run a sps tank. That I can get pictures of for proof. It may not kick the par as the other 2 but if they can grow sps anywhere in the tank with nems and clam and all the "high light" stuff we have in the tank then the rest is just pointless and unneeded. In other words its a waste of light which is money

michaelrc51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I already have my mind made up on this it was not a question. More a topic for discussion. See what others think. It was never supposed to be anything more than that.

With your statement on how the design and production will impact how the light works as well as the spectrum is 1 i fully agree with. T5 is easy as they are all made pretty much the same at the end of the day. Some parts may be made better but in the end what makes a t5ho a t5ho is the same. Leds are a lot more complex and going to take a lot more digging into what they actually have before I can comment. Each is made very differently so it will take some research a lot deeper than just a lookie on the interweb. I might actually have to open some up

I agree, there could be some head scratching as to where the price comes from given the cost of some of the components. That is your decision on what to buy.
However I do know some long term reefers who swear by ATI fixtures.

With LEDs there are a lot of components that have to be "engineered" from the start to work at the expected level. These different components can vary greatly in price.
In that thread I linked you can see what some of those components are and how much knowledge you need to have to put together a package, and it might take revisions to get it where you want.

TD13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MADE IN CHINA

The real crime here is, just about EVERYTHING U.S. consumers use is made in another country. I'm not surprised in the slightest that most, if not all the components around our reef are made out of country. I can assure you that, along with the nameplate, you're paying for higher quality, safer parts and customer service. OH customer service is a HUGE thing too.. just saying.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send me your ati fixture and I would love to run some par numbers. But I am not spending the money that would take to prove my point nor was it supposed to be my point. I am sure the crappy hydro light will produce more than capable par to run a sps tank. That I can get pictures of for proof. It may not kick the par as the other 2 but if they can grow sps anywhere in the tank with nems and clam and all the "high light" stuff we have in the tank then the rest is just pointless and unneeded. In other words its a waste of light which is money

If I had one I definitely would that way there was useful information

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, there could be some head scratching as to where the price comes from given the cost of some of the components. That is your decision on what to buy.
However I do know some long term reefers who swear by ATI fixtures.

With LEDs there are a lot of components that have to be "engineered" from the start to work at the expected level. These different components can vary greatly in price.
In that thread I linked you can see what some of those components are and how much knowledge you need to have to put together a package, and it might take revisions to get it where you want.

They swear by ATI for good reason they are still one of if not the best t5 fixture money can buy. That I am not questioning that they are a great company. I just want to make people aware that you can accomplish the same thing with a cheaper fixtures. As it seems people have forgotten that. That crap fixture in my post is just that low quality hunk of junk but it will grow some amazing corals and is affordable to almost all reefers regardless of there budget

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had one I definitely would that way there was useful information

Sorry to bore you but if this has no "useful info" why are you wasting your time reading it I am sure other thread will have the information you are looking for.

michaelrc51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They swear by ATI for good reason they are still one of if not the best t5 fixture money can buy. That I am not questioning that they are a great company. I just want to make people aware that you can accomplish the same thing with a cheaper fixtures. As it seems people have forgotten that. That crap fixture in my post is just that low quality hunk of junk but it will grow some amazing corals and is affordable to almost all reefers regardless of there budget

You say the same.....that I would dispute.
If you think the results are the same I say you prove it.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bore you but if this has no "useful info" why are you wasting your time reading it I am sure other thread will have the information you are looking for.

Never said i was bored but you can't compare something without data which is the only point I'm trying to make since that is what it looks like this thread has turned into

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shame that aquatic life fixture is discontinued and out of stock in every vendor I've looked. I really liked their 4 bulb unit. Had tremendous results with it over my 55 gallon with acropora. They killed their quality with the new marquis line. Weak reflectors, no cooling fans, premium price. Bummer

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say the same.....that I would dispute.
If you think the results are the same I say you prove it.

They are built the same as in to make a t5ho fixture all you need is a housing, reflector/reflectors, ballast, endcaps, wireing. If you ever open one up you will see what I am talking about. Now the quality of those parts will be better or worse but that is all you need in most t5ho fixtures. They are basic and all built the same. You can add fans and LEDs and whatever else you want to a t5 fixture but for just the T5 part thats all you need. Plain and simple. LEDs are a completely different animal and the options on them vary widely.

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never said i was bored but you can't compare something without data which is the only point I'm trying to make since that is what it looks like this thread has turned into

What data all I am trying to point out is you dont need $1000 dollar fixture to have a thriving reef for the newbs out there that ask what kind of light should I get on a budget that get told to go play tic tac toe if you cant afford this light. Its not true and bad advise and steers people away from a great hobby. I never claimed anything more than that. All 3 fixtures above will give you a great reef in the end its what you can afford. Now if you want data go to ATI who claim there fixture puts out 50% more light than other fixtures on the market and ask for proof.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It not all about Par. PUR is Important as Well and should be the 1st consideration. Go to link to read Why. http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Lighting.html :cool::cool::cool::cool:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back