For those that don't quarantine fish or corals.....mitigation?

Do you quarantine (QT) your livestock before adding to the tank?

• Fish only QT

Votes: 124 25.2%
  • Coral only QT

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Fish and Coral get QT

Votes: 85 17.2%
  • I don't QT livestock I just dump it!

Votes: 155 31.4%
  • I don't QT livestock but I take steps to mitigate the risk. (respond to the thread please)

Votes: 122 24.7%

• Total voters

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190509_065017.jpg
I have never get it by myself but have been out for some very strange occasion when the doctors have looks for this bacteria in me. But I have seen this wounds at some of my friends.

Sincerely Lasse

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 20g I didnt quarantine and or dip corals yep fighting red planaria, my next tank I'm investing the time and the little bit of money it takes to set up a qt for fish and to dip corals. I wish I did that from the beginning but learn from the mistakes. Also when I do get ready for qt on my next tank I will probably be reading the awesome qt articles and still asking questions

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a living Mussel that was attached to the live rock. Also I got some live clams from the ocean and added them to my sump. Some died but most of them are still closed up so assuming alive.
I have two large mussels in my DT that came on my LR and seem to be doing great. I have a dozen or so smaller ones in my sump that I collected and also seem fine. I think I’ll slowly add more to my sump if they are happy then I guess they must be filtering something. I can occasionally use them as fresh protein for my fish too.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never quarantine fish or coral. Why? I only buy from sources who treat/quarantine themselves. So to do it a second time, although it may be safer, in my opinion is not needed. The only time I've ever had an issue is when I bought a pyramid butterfly from an unknown source. Lowe and behold, I had a hypo resistant strain of flukes that took a few fish out.

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be a great conversation!

Let's be honest here. I would imagine that most hobbyists don't quarantine (QT) livestock, fish or corals. If I were to guess I would say somewhere around 80/20. Is quarantining livestock a good thing to do, HECK YES! But that's not this discussion is about.

So for those of you that don't QT fish or corals what steps do you take to mitigate the risk, as much as possible, of infecting your tank with disease or parasites?

FTSLeftside.jpg

image via Mark Poletti
I've found a local LFS that is willing to observe and pellet train my fish for two weeks. I think this a big thing for them because they are limited in space but they do it because the rest of the LFS competition is gone and they want to survive. They'll even do this for $15 fish. I'll go check on them at least once (it is about 40 minutes away). But I feel the bigger issue for me is the eating and acclimation problems. I haven't had luck with mailed fish, no matter how professional they are. It is just too much stress. I like to be able to take a fish home, put him in the tank, and know that he will eat that evening and have a better chance of survival.

Also, not having a gigantic tank, I don't keep keep more than 1 fish per 10 gallons. With the exception of 2 juveniles in a nano, but they won't be in there forever. And with a 60g, I won't keep more than 4 fish in total. The more fish, the greater the risk.

But I'm also new-ish. And green enough to still justify some risks.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what happens when you don’t QT. I never have for the 6 years I have been in the hobby. then the unthinkable happens. I put in a cleaner wrasse who unknowingly had velvet as he was not showing any signs. This took out 10 of my 14 fish. I was able to save 4 by the time I was able to catch who was still alive. I QT all fish now for 30 days. Start with prazi. then therapeutic leaves of copper power. then observation after that. It takes a major catastrophe to happen to open your eyes. Never lost a fish other than a jumper.
d7d94b731bdf747f904fc81e1303a66d.jpg
95e75bea8377f566dbf59a9b9522eccc.jpg

I lost a powder blue, pajama cardinal, 3 stripe and yellow tail damasls, yellow tang, paired clowns, cleaner wrasse and one other
;Nailbiting

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found a local LFS that is willing to observe and pellet train my fish for two weeks. I think this a big thing for them because they are limited in space but they do it because the rest of the LFS competition is gone and they want to survive. They'll even do this for $15 fish. I'll go check on them at least once (it is about 40 minutes away). But I feel the bigger issue for me is the eating and acclimation problems. I haven't had luck with mailed fish, no matter how professional they are. It is just too much stress. I like to be able to take a fish home, put him in the tank, and know that he will eat that evening and have a better chance of survival.

Also, not having a gigantic tank, I don't keep keep more than 1 fish per 10 gallons. With the exception of 2 juveniles in a nano, but they won't be in there forever. And with a 60g, I won't keep more than 4 fish in total. The more fish, the greater the risk.

But I'm also new-ish. And green enough to still justify some risks.

If you dont mind me asking, who is your local fish store now, the one offering the pellet training? Rivers to Reef closed a while ago and there isnt much anymore on that 80 corridor between Vallejo and Sacramento.

If I can ever get my little business off the ground beyond what I'm already doing, I was planning to someday offer the QT experience that hobbyists seem to be looking for. I'm already there with Coral and Inverts, I just want to get there for Fish. There isn't much around here for the hobbyist these days.

-Dan (AquaLifeStudio)

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont mind me asking, who is your local fish store now, the one offering the pellet training? Rivers to Reef closed a while ago and there isnt much anymore on that 80 corridor between Vallejo and Sacramento.

If I can ever get my little business off the ground beyond what I'm already doing, I was planning to someday offer the QT experience that hobbyists seem to be looking for. I'm already there with Coral and Inverts, I just want to get there for Fish. There isn't much around here for the hobbyist these days.

-Dan (AquaLifeStudio)
You’re in Davis ...?
Splash will do it. Ask for Mike.

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d buy from you if you offered similar.
Someday, I'm not yet setup to do it on a larger scale. I've got a home office to redo first and the coral QT setup associated with it takes priority over fish.

In one fish qt tank I've got a pintail fairy and malanarus wrasse, a bluethroat trigger male/female pair and a longnose hawkfish. The pintail fairy and hawkfish have been in an unmedicated tank for about 2 months, the others are about 7 days in.

The plan is to start them on Copper Power tonight and maintain a therapeutic level for a minimum of 2 weeks before transferring them to a bucket before acclimating them to the main display. I will be raising the copper level slowly over the next week or two to be as gentle as possible for the wrasses' sake.

-Dan (AquaLifeStudio)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back