For those that have used Chemiclean successfully

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change anything in regards to maintenance after dosing Chemiclean or did you keep your routine the same from prior to dosing Chemiclean and the cyano did not come back.

Edit: I am trying to see how much of a "band-aid" is Chemiclean

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a bandaid. If used correctly with the dosage, water changes, carbon, etc. it is pretty safe, but what allowed the cyano to thrive will allow it to thrive again down the road. How long it stays away is too specific to really guess about.

Your basic things are need. Bio diversity, lower residual N and P levels (or so high that it growth limits matting bacterias), etc. Heavy skimming, water changes and active and healthy fuge seem to keep it at bay.

All of this said, I have a healthy and thriving tank and I get small patches every once in a while. They come all of a sudden and leave all of a sudden too. I don't worry about them and if I get sick of them, I just siphon them out during a water change.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe Chemiclean works, but only if you already have a good regimen with your tank.

I had dinos (I think it’s because I was starving my tank during fallow). I battled Dino’s for a month which then preceded with cyano which covered some of my corals and was starting to get bad.

I dosed Chemiclean and now I’m seeing the green algae cover my tank glass and back wall which is the sign that I know Chemiclean allowed different competitors to take hold.

I was pleased with the results. I do have a minimal amount of Dino’s in some areas, but it wasn’t nearly as bad.

Chemiclean is not a magic bullet for reefers to “slack” off with maintenance. It’s a tool to allow a chance for different competitors to take hold.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well erythromycin is a broad spectrum antibiotic which kills off a full spectrum of both good and bad bacteria like a 12gauge shotgun shell rips to shreds an empty aluminum can that got shot.

On the other side of erythromycin, you need to reintroduce some good nutrifying bacteria to helps minimize a hard cycle

OP
OP
Z

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well erythromycin is a broad spectrum antibiotic which kills off a full spectrum of both good and bad bacteria like a 12gauge shotgun shell rips to shreds an empty aluminum can that got shot.

On the other side of erythromycin, you need to reintroduce some good nutrifying bacteria to helps minimize a hard cycle

I agree. Giving it one more day for the carbon and skimmer to suck up the chemiclean and i'm throwing in some live rock into the sump from another established tank.

OP
OP
Z

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe Chemiclean works, but only if you already have a good regimen with your tank.

I had dinos (I think it’s because I was starving my tank during fallow). I battled Dino’s for a month which then preceded with cyano which covered some of my corals and was starting to get bad.

I dosed Chemiclean and now I’m seeing the green algae cover my tank glass and back wall which is the sign that I know Chemiclean allowed different competitors to take hold.

I was pleased with the results. I do have a minimal amount of Dino’s in some areas, but it wasn’t nearly as bad.

Chemiclean is not a magic bullet for reefers to “slack” off with maintenance. It’s a tool to allow a chance for different competitors to take hold.
Your thread actually was part of the tipping point on me trying out chemiclean. I agree that you can't slack off just because it initially worked.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change anything in regards to maintenance after dosing Chemiclean or did you keep your routine the same from prior to dosing Chemiclean and the cyano did not come back.

Nope. Same. Came back probably twice but tank since stabilised. Haven’t seen it for almost a year

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If using for cyano. I would fix the issue. Most folks say it works but no certainty it won’t cause other issues. If you have a refugium or algae scrubber/reactor. Those would work better.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the goal. Was the nutrient problem phosphate or nitrate? Or a combination of both?
I had 0 nitrates and lots of phosphates. I swapped my skimmer for a refugium and started dosing NO3 to rebalance. It stabilized thereafter

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was definitely phosphates. And dang, I've been contemplating on swapping my skimmer for a refugium.
I have an AIO and it has helped keep my tank stable. Seems to have gotten rid of any nutrient spikes and allowed for the phosphate and NO3 to rise and fall without it actually affecting the detectable level. Mine always sit at 0.04 and 3 ppm respectively. I even have to dose a small amount on occasion

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back