For those who like to see our pets in the wild..

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who like to see our pets in the wild the YouTube channel: Reef Craft is dedicated to showing reef life in the wild. The collection of ‘Shorts’ is a constantly growing library of familiar animals in their natural habitat.

I’m not affiliated or a part of this channel in any way. I like to support a fellow Australian who is doing a great service to this hobby that is not being recognised. The ability to see where specific species come from that we regularly keep in our aquariums is a great opportunity to improve our techniques. Enjoy

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be completely honest, when I started diving and practicing dive photography taking pictures of beautiful highly sought after fish in the hobby, starfish which are collected to an extreme level for supply, and so many other marine creatures commonly kept it actually moved me a little away from the hobby after seeing them all living together in perfect harmony in their natural habitat. I still am in the hobby, don't get me wrong, but for me personally it left a bitter taste in my mouth to a degree knowing what I do about the supply chain... particularly the death rate associated with the hobby. That's just how I felt and thought I'd share.
Btw, there's absolutely nothing wrong with anything associated with this post and I might just check out the link myself...I'm not implying that at all, just sharing my experience which sounds similar to what was described above.

ajax969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Videos like this amaze me because in the hobby it's always about perfect placement, right flow and light and so on.
Nature just has all kinds of things laying all over everything else and it all thrives beyond probably 90% of tanks.

It's also wild to see everything under natural light instead of the blues that are the norm in the hobby.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who like to see our pets in the wild the YouTube channel: Reef Craft is dedicated to showing reef life in the wild. The collection of ‘Shorts’ is a constantly growing library of familiar animals in their natural habitat.

I’m not affiliated or a part of this channel in any way. I like to support a fellow Australian who is doing a great service to this hobby that is not being recognised. The ability to see where specific species come from that we regularly keep in our aquariums is a great opportunity to improve our techniques. Enjoy

Amazing videos, thanks for sharing! I’ve subscribed to the YouTube channel

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool, thanks for sharing!!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those are some neat looking videos! I'll have to check those out in my free time

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be completely honest, when I started diving and practicing dive photography taking pictures of beautiful highly sought after fish in the hobby, starfish which are collected to an extreme level for supply, and so many other marine creatures commonly kept it actually moved me a little away from the hobby after seeing them all living together in perfect harmony in their natural habitat. I still am in the hobby, don't get me wrong, but for me personally it left a bitter taste in my mouth to a degree knowing what I do about the supply chain... particularly the death rate associated with the hobby. That's just how I felt and thought I'd share.
Btw, there's absolutely nothing wrong with anything associated with this post and I might just check out the link myself...I'm not implying that at all, just sharing my experience which sounds similar to what was described above.
Honestly I agree with you completely about the supply chain. LFS aggravate me too for reasons I won’t get into here. I do not however feel bad about purchasing Western Australian livestock as I’ve seen firsthand the vastness of the reefs and they are incredibly healthy. Australia also has pretty strict rules and only a handful of collectors some of which are beginning to sexually reproduce scollies etc.

Unfortunately many poorer parts of the world will pillage their native resources unethically because that’s what it takes to feed their family.

Not everyone in this hobby will ever get to dive and see these animals in the wild and unfortunately many reefs will be destroyed so hopefully some hobbyists can benefit from those that post videos onto YouTube like Reefcraft.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back