Former Marine Velvet: When Should I Add Fish?

tiabakshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. In December of 2020 I believe I acquired marine velvet. I tried freshwater dipping the fish, quarantining them, but by the time we decided it was marine velvet it was too late for the fish. I was told that my 2 options were to either throw everything out of the tank and replace rock, inverts, and sand, or I could keep my tank up and running for 2 months without fish to starve the disease.

I have put 2 algae blennies in about 10 days ago and they seem to be doing alright. At this point it has been 3 months since there have been fish in the tank. Is it alright for me to start adding larger fish such as tangs?

While I was starving the marine velvet, I still kept starfish, anemone, snails, crabs, shrimp, live rock, coral, and sand in the tank. Was this okay? Do you think the marine velvet is gone?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the water temperature, keeping a tank free of all possible fish hosts for 45 days is usually sufficient. Wait 76 days to be 100% certain. That said, not quarantining the new fish puts you right back at risk....so those blennies could very well brought parasites in with them.
Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back