Found a decent "Tank Cam"

JCGSO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been searching for a streaming web cam to put on my tank. After some research and decent reviews, I went with the Zmodo for $35. I did not want to spend much on it, since it's really not a critical part of my setup. It's 720P, which is acceptable. It took quite a few tries at connecting with my Wi-Fi, but eventually worked well. I can view it on my Windows laptop, Android tablet and Android phone. It can take pics and videos and can be shared and set up for alerts. I'm sure there are better, more expensive options available, but for me, it's pretty good.
The link is below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZZ4HX1K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
JCGSO

JCGSO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought and if it didn't work, amazon would take it back. I am still trying to figure out how to mount it on the side of the tank. Right now it's just sitting on a magnetic frag shelf attachment. Maybe somehow Velcro it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been searching for a streaming web cam to put on my tank. After some research and decent reviews, I went with the Zmodo for $35. I did not want to spend much on it, since it's really not a critical part of my setup. It's 720P, which is acceptable. It took quite a few tries at connecting with my Wi-Fi, but eventually worked well. I can view it on my Windows laptop, Android tablet and Android phone. It can take pics and videos and can be shared and set up for alerts. I'm sure there are better, more expensive options available, but for me, it's pretty good.
The link is below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZZ4HX1K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got 4 of these and they worked so good I bought 4 more! They are awesome on the tank. I have one on my sump, one on the side of my tank, one on the front of the tank, adding one to the frag tank, tank room, the cat and another room! HA!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh and the video on them is amazingly good on my iphone!

Good idea to put some orange filter over the one facing the front of the tank for a better view! :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't mind the chords as this is an in wall tank. :)

IMG_2358.PNG

IMG_2357.PNG

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are awesome! I need to get one as well.

My old webcam crapped out and I had an old iphone lying around, so I got an app for $2 and made it into an IPcam. But I am out of old iphones now, so I will be picking one of these up for the sump-cam!

K.I.N.G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are awesome! I need to get one as well.

My old webcam crapped out and I had an old iphone lying around, so I got an app for $2 and made it into an IPcam. But I am out of old iphones now, so I will be picking one of these up for the sump-cam!

What was the app called could you do a link if possible?

OP
OP
JCGSO

JCGSO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for zmodo in apple store or android play. I believe it's the only app for the camera and their smart hardware.

OP
OP
JCGSO

JCGSO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for zmodo in apple store or android play. I believe it's the only app for the camera and their smart hardware.

Tapio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and the video on them is amazingly good on my iphone!

Good idea to put some orange filter over the one facing the front of the tank for a better view! :)
So they work fine on iPhone and Mac althought the description really does not specify that?

And I would only need the camera, iPhone app and they connect to my house Netgear WiFi, yes? And streaming to iPhone remotely over cellular network?

Biznizface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the zmodo about a meter away from the tank ? It doesn't zoom in right ?
I want to monitor my tank and sump when on vacation and at work

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same camera. It was a minor pita to set up on the network, but after a few tries it works great. I wish the streaming colors wee better, but hey, it's $30. You can invite Ppl to view the camera remotely which is cool. I let my friend on it so he can check it out with his son. Just remember to turn off sharing mode if your camera includes any view you don't want Ppl to see! The way mine is set, you can see my couch through the other side of the tank. I haven't figured out a good way to mount it for just tank view yet, but that's just my setup.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 55 44.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back