Found egg like sacs around them after purchasing.

T0mar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm kinda new to this hobby and was recommended to add these to my Tank. Unfortunately after observing them again, I saw these clear egg like sacs as shown in the picture. I do plan on dipping them before setting them up in my Tank. Should I be worried and is the dip enough for them to fall off? Thank you in advance!

PXL_20240314_195718619.jpg PXL_20240314_195658207.jpg

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely do look like egg sacs of what? I couldn't tell you unfortunately. Most dips don't actually work on eggs. You should still dip it in case there are adults however the eggs you should get a soft bristled brush and brush them off carefully and then rinse with RODI water. Then monitor for hatchlings and plan to continue re-dipping it every so often for a few months until you're confident they're gone.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm kinda new to this hobby and was recommended to add these to my Tank. Unfortunately after observing them again, I saw these clear egg like sacs as shown in the picture. I do plan on dipping them before setting them up in my Tank. Should I be worried and is the dip enough for them to fall off? Thank you in advance!

PXL_20240314_195718619.jpg PXL_20240314_195658207.jpg
I wouldn't trust a dip with eggs...

I would either quarintine it, or bring it back.

It's to hard to ID, but it's not really worth the risk of adding them to your tank.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, those seem to be eggs - eggs on corals like that are a red flag.

Like the above, I'd either QT it in a separate tank until you're sure you've gotten rid of whatever they are or are sure they're not an issue; returning it is also a solid plan.

OP
OP
T

T0mar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, those seem to be eggs - eggs on corals like that are a red flag.

Like the above, I'd either QT it in a separate tank until you're sure you've gotten rid of whatever they are or are sure they're not an issue; returning it is also a solid plan.
I see, I've done what the first reply said from a friend's recommendation by manually using a small brush to rub them off and did a double dip. As of now I manually removed all the eggs and now seems to be clean. They seem to be completely fine with only some of them closing since my cleaner shrimp has been over them. But your reply is scaring me, I'm guessing now that they are in, the eggs are in as well :/. Should I just remove them and return them at this point? I've never had this issue before as I just started adding coral and I'm just worried for my 5 month old tank.

97d255db-f682-43a1-b461-d713ccd2f5d9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

T0mar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, I've done what the first reply said by manually using a small brush to rub them off and did a double dip. As of now I manually removed all the eggs and now seems to be clean. They seem to be completely fine. But your reply is scaring me, I'm guessing now that they are in the eggs are in as well :/. Should I just remove them and return them at this point? I've never had this issue before as I just started adding coral and I'm just worried for my 5 month old tank.
I feel like I've made a big mistake and feel like a dummy for continuing :(

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already added it to your tank Then Personally I would just leave it now but others might disagree

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I've made a big mistake and feel like a dummy for continuing :(
No need to feel bad, these things happen (particularly when you're new and learning) - like was said in the first reply, just monitor for any hatchlings in case you missed some of the eggs.

Also, I'm a bit late, but welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
T

T0mar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to feel bad, these things happen (particularly when you're new and learning) - like was said in the first reply, just monitor for any hatchlings in case you missed some of the eggs.

Also, I'm a bit late, but welcome to Reef2Reef!
Thank you for the help! And I will, I'll check once a day to make sure but I'm extra certain I've got them all. Next time I'll start setting up a quarantine tank to be safe. Really glad to be here!

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already added it to your tank Then Personally I would just leave it now but others might disagree
I agree. You did your best to remove them. Your fish and clean up crew might take care of any larva stage things that come out if it. Even if they don’t the odds are pretty good that they are harmless.

I’d leave it alone.

OP
OP
T

T0mar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. You did your best to remove them. Your fish and clean up crew might take care of any larva stage things that come out if it. Even if they don’t the odds are pretty good that they are harmless.

I’d leave it alone.
Thank you, I've decided to keep them. I did notice my smaller hermits and cleaner shrimp decided to visit and had their time of cleaning or observing their new neighbor lol. Now they are back in their favorite spots as usual. But I'll definitely keep a very close eye for the foreseeable future.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Usually the worst thing that comes in with zoanthids are zoanthid eating nudibranchs and their eggs.
The eggs are laid usually in a semi or full circle on the stalk of the polyps.
The eggs themselves don't seem to have any predators and the nudi's once hatched have very few. Some types of wrasses will go after them, but it's hit or miss.
The eggs usually look like this.
This was a picture from a google search, referenced back to R2R. ( I'm unsure of the picture taker)

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I've decided to keep them. I did notice my smaller hermits and cleaner shrimp decided to visit and had their time of cleaning or observing their new neighbor lol. Now they are back in their favorite spots as usual. But I'll definitely keep a very close eye for the foreseeable future.
No need to worry, I am sure everything will be just fine!

Did you handle the zoanthids with gloves?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Years ago the standard dip for new ( wild) zoanthid colonies used to be Flat Worm Exit.
I would use this treatment on new colonies that I could see nudibranchs on and actually see the nudibranchs dissolve, fall apart.
But a few years ago another reefer documented the FWE dip and did not have the same results.
I have not had the opportunity to get any new wild colonies so I haven't had to test it.

OP
OP
T

T0mar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually the worst thing that comes in with zoanthids are zoanthid eating nudibranchs and their eggs.
The eggs are laid usually in a semi or full circle on the stalk of the polyps.
The eggs themselves don't seem to have any predators and the nudi's once hatched have very few. Some types of wrasses will go after them, but it's hit or miss.
The eggs usually look like this.
This was a picture from a google search, referenced back to R2R. ( I'm unsure of the picture taker)

Thankfully they didn't look like that at all. But that's really good to know!

OP
OP
T

T0mar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to worry, I am sure everything will be just fine!

Did you handle the zoanthids with gloves?
Glad to see that but I did not, I was carefully holding them from their lil platform. Tho I did pick some of the sticker eggs with my fingers. Thankfully the zoanthids are blooming normally and show no negative signs.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see that but I did not, I was carefully holding them from their lil platform. Tho I did pick some of the sticker eggs with my fingers. Thankfully the zoanthids are blooming normally and show no negative signs.
All right, sounds good.

Next time I would wear gloves when handling them, because they can excrete some pretty nasty stuff if they get stressed enough.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
One of the things with zoanthids that was brought up is some of them can be very toxic. Not all but some. Identifying the ones that is difficult. I haven't seen any actual proof, although I've seen alot of speculation.
Use a little common sense when you handle them. Maybe get a pair of tongs to pick them up. Some use gloves. Use eye protection when fragging them, and I would guess being in a well ventilated area too can't hurt.
In my 30+ years of handling them I have never experienced what some people have with them.
There are stories out there.

OP
OP
T

T0mar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things with zoanthids that was brought up is some of them can be very toxic. Not all but some. Identifying the ones that is difficult. I haven't seen any actual proof, although I've seen alot of speculation.
Use a little common sense when you handle them. Maybe get a pair of tongs to pick them up. Some use gloves. Use eye protection when fragging them, and I would guess being in a well ventilated area too can't hurt.
In my 30+ years of handling them I have never experienced what some people have with them.
There are stories out there.
All right, sounds good.

Next time I would wear gloves when handling them, because they can excrete some pretty nasty stuff if they get stressed enough.
Wow, I didn't know, these are my second zoas that I'm adding in, the first ones I've had no contact and was given instructions by my friend and shop. I got lucky with these ones but I'll make sure to wear gloves and gonna research them more as I did for my anemone, cleaning crew, and fish. Sorry for the amateur mistakes but I really appreciate this a lot!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wow, I didn't know, these are my second zoas that I'm adding in, the first ones I've had no contact and was given instructions by my friend and shop. I got lucky with these ones but I'll make sure to wear gloves and gonna research them more as I did for my anemone, cleaning crew, and fish. Sorry for the amateur mistakes but I really appreciate this a lot!
Just use a little common sense. Some, but not all have the potential to be harmful in the right circumstances.
Where people get in trouble with them is fragging them, and possibly removing zoanthids of frag plugs to glue to rockwork.
I use long handled tongs ( 12"-18"). I need reading glasses for most things these days so they are always on when handling them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back