Found & Removed a SINGLE Aptasia.. what should I do next?

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all

I discovered a small aptasia on the underside of one of my frag plugs today. It has been glued down for a few weeks. I inspect the tank daily and am in and out for maintenance often, no sign of it til today. I removed the frag, cut off the base of the coral, along with the plug, and reglued it to a new plug. 5 minutes in Coral RX after. I have scoured the tank and see no signs of any others... is it just a matter of time? Is there anything else I can do? Did I avoid a potential disaster? Thank you all so much!!

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia is something we all deal with at some level... some more than others.
Good inspection of new additions and dealing with those you see in your tank is about the most you can do.
Now that you've been anointed, not much you can do other than wait for the next one to appear...
As long as you deal with them as you see them and don't let your maintenance slack, you'll be good.

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had pretty bad aiptasia in my current tank (125). I got an electrified wand and followed a strict zero tolerance policy - if I saw one then it died there and then. I don’t have them any more - it is possible to eliminate them with patience, a weapon and the kind of vindictive cruelty that would ordinarily put you in a medicated cell

have fun kids...

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too deal with them as I see them... Use AptasiaX and 3 peppermint shrimp. I rarely see anymore...

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its gonna get in, its just a matter of time. As long as you properly kill it without making it ticked off and release babies then its fairly easy to keep it under control. I have a couple popping up every few months and I just smother them with F-aiptasia.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You did exactly what you can. look for them and eliminate right away. Peppermint shrimp wont be the answer nor berghia for one or two aptasia. You will need to shut down water flow and as much of a pain as it is, mix kalkwasser powder with tank water and lemon juice into a toothpaste like consistency and using a syringe- inject into the CENTER CORE of each one. This will take repetition but you will suddenly see them diminish. I assume theyre also in the plumbing and by return pump area.
Other options are :
For each method you should turn your flow OFF for 5 mins. before and during the treatment and wait 15 mins. before turning it back ON after the the treatment, including the return pump.

• Lemon Juice - Instead of reaching for your bottle of lemon juice to enhance your glass of water or cup of tea, maybe try it as an Aiptasia exterminator. While wearing gloves, fill a syringe with pure lemon juice and inject it directly into the Aiptasia. Make sure to move slowly to prevent scarring the anemone into its hole.
  • Hydrogen Peroxide - Just like with the lemon juice, fill a syringe and carefully inject a small amount of the solution directly into the disk of the Aiptasia. Be extra careful to not release any hydrogen peroxide into the tank. Not the safest way.
  • Kalkwasser - Also known as Calcium hydroxide - kalkwasser is capable of killing Aiptasia. However, I don’t recommend this extermination tactic. In order to work, you must precisely fill the Aiptasia with a concentrated dose. If you try killing too many in this way, you can inadvertently raise your tank pH level, which is no good.
  • Other Methods - Some of the other methods commonly used to eradicate Aiptasia include boiling water, vinegar, electricity and even super glue. If you’re considering these methods, there’s a better way that’s less dangerous to you, your tank and your bank account.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did exactly what you can. look for them and eliminate right away. Peppermint shrimp wont be the answer nor berghia for one or two aptasia. You will need to shut down water flow and as much of a pain as it is, mix kalkwasser powder with tank water and lemon juice into a toothpaste like consistency and using a syringe- inject into the CENTER CORE of each one. This will take repetition but you will suddenly see them diminish. I assume theyre also in the plumbing and by return pump area.
Other options are :
For each method you should turn your flow OFF for 5 mins. before and during the treatment and wait 15 mins. before turning it back ON after the the treatment, including the return pump.

• Lemon Juice - Instead of reaching for your bottle of lemon juice to enhance your glass of water or cup of tea, maybe try it as an Aiptasia exterminator. While wearing gloves, fill a syringe with pure lemon juice and inject it directly into the Aiptasia. Make sure to move slowly to prevent scarring the anemone into its hole.
  • Hydrogen Peroxide - Just like with the lemon juice, fill a syringe and carefully inject a small amount of the solution directly into the disk of the Aiptasia. Be extra careful to not release any hydrogen peroxide into the tank. Not the safest way.
  • Kalkwasser - Also known as Calcium hydroxide - kalkwasser is capable of killing Aiptasia. However, I don’t recommend this extermination tactic. In order to work, you must precisely fill the Aiptasia with a concentrated dose. If you try killing too many in this way, you can inadvertently raise your tank pH level, which is no good.
  • Other Methods - Some of the other methods commonly used to eradicate Aiptasia include boiling water, vinegar, electricity and even super glue. If you’re considering these methods, there’s a better way that’s less dangerous to you, your tank and your bank account.
What vettguy just said!!!
Most importantly you gotta stay on top of it or it will get out of control.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a drink!

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other Methods - Some of the other methods commonly used to eradicate Aiptasia include boiling water, vinegar, electricity and even super glue. If you’re considering these methods, there’s a better way that’s less dangerous to you, your tank and your bank account.
While I agree with you in principle, only my method allows you to electrocute something while laughing like a low grade Bond villain who just strapped Sean Connery to a table...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While I agree with you in principle, only my method allows you to electrocute something while laughing like a low grade Bond villain who just strapped Sean Connery to a table...
Majano wand is a method of electricity

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back