Fowlr “safe” corals?

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of discussion about reef safe fish (safe, with caution, etc...) but I haven’t seen anything for corals that might work in a fowlr system. Typically, fowlr are stocked with some fish that are not considered reef safe, but are there any corals that most fish won’t eat?

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish only with live rock- means no coral. Unless you stocking with reef safe fish and add corals but it wouldn’t be a fowlr tank then. I don’t think it’s a question of coral that fish won’t eat- it’s more a fish that doesn’t eat coral. If your have fish that are known to eat coral- then they would probally eat most anything you put in.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what you mean... What fish do you have? Some "with cautions" go after fleshy corals and some stony. My puffer has been nipping to my cherry tree monti but would never touch a soft coral.

OP
OP
O

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what you mean... What fish do you have? Some "with cautions" go after fleshy corals and some stony. My puffer has been nipping to my cherry tree monti but would never touch a soft coral.
Yeah, this is exactly what I mean. I have a narrow line puffer, harlequin tusk fish, majestic angel and bluejaw trigger. Wondering if there are any corals that might live in this tank.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this is exactly what I mean. I have a narrow line puffer, harlequin tusk fish, majestic angel and bluejaw trigger. Wondering if there are any corals that might live in this tank.
You could try the indestructible stuff like GSP and xenia, maybe some mushrooms. Probably won't get eaten.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what fish you keep. If you don't keep those corallivores butterfly, most sps are pretty safe. Usually it's the lps and clams that are in danger.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure about the puffer, but all others are fine with not meaty stony corals. I have a majestic in my acro dominated reef.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I agree with above. Got for very cheap/free frags of something fast growing and readily replaceable. GSP, leathers and xenia are all good options. You can also start them in a sump until they get large enough where nipping isn't an issue if it happens.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly introduce soft corals and you will most likely be fine start with toadstool or finger leather. This is what I did. Most fish that they say Fowlr for is because they eat a certain type of coral and most of the time it’s lps that they eat or they eat snails.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a majestic angel and a harlequin tusk. Firstly I wouldn’t worry about the tusk touching any coral they are not interested. They might flip them to get to crustaceans or bivalves but not the corals themselves.

My experience with the majestic has been that it doesn’t touch Euphyllia or softies. It does occasionally peck at my pectinia and definitely eats/harasses elegance corals. It has pecked on my duncan coral when it was first introduced but has left it alone since.

My advice would be to try a hammer and a sarcophyton and see how you go. I would advise against tiny frags as these are a more sensitive and probably more tempting target. Good luck.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Majestic doesn't touch any sps, gonis, a blastos, favia euphyllia or mushrooms . Of course this isnt the case with every fish , sometimes it's just a gamble . I also have a blue jaw and he wont bother anything besides small shrimp maybe .
20201216_192006.jpg

Josh@BVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't try anything thats not free or over $20. Most of what u have will at the very least nip at coral and kill it even if they don't actually eat it. If u get a free piece of GSP or xenia then why not toss it in and hope for the best. Best bet is to attempt softies like mushrooms and possibly some leathers but I don't think u will find much success. Worth a shot if its a low cost tho

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always a roll of the dice with certain fish, especially angels. But most fish leave sps alone. It’s the yummy plump lps and softies they go for.

OP
OP
O

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, I moved a mushroom and it hasn't been noticed. Bought some GSP, Xenia and some more mushrooms. I'll keep everyone posted.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doing a Fowlr 8 x 2 x 3 and have bought a heap of cheap corals, fragged them and grown them and fragged again etc when the tanks ready I plan to put them in the fowler and establish them then add the angels triggers and puffer to the tangs and see how we go. had a maté successful with it and it looks phenomenal he had to juggle the fish the key is just enough aggression to distract and 4-5 feedings a day.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try Galaxea, certain green palys, kenya tree, certain “octo-corals” (the smooth brown stuff, or whatever they are called…name escapes me ATM)
Anyway…
I’ve kept those with bad guys like Idols, Heniocus, BiColor Angels and Rock Beauty’s w/o issue

OP
OP
O

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So far, I have a BTA and mushroom leather. No problems yet.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back