FOWLR and nutrients removal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MAXreefer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MAXreefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2009
Messages
435
Reaction score
125
Location
Las Vegas
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a newbie with reef tanks but this is my first Fish Only with some Live Rock setup.
Just would like to know what would be best and convenient way to keep Nitrates and Phosphates low. I know Nitrates can be higher as in a Reef tank but of course I want to keep Phosphates low to avoid algae growth.
I have a pretty good skimmer running on the tank know which pulls quite some crap out while cycling so far.

Should I just run some GFO and Carbon in the future. Can it be just in a bag or is a reactor better?
I heard Chemi Pure Elite is quite good in phosphate removal and is very easy to use but gets a little expensive in the long run.
Anything else to consider?

Any input from the Fish Only experts is appreciated
Thanks
 
Use anything that you would use in a reef that does not apply directly to corals.

I'm sure you understand lighting does not have to be super expensive and dosing is unnecessary. But GFO, ATS, refugium, carbon, etc. are still good, and probably necessary options.

Regarding the Chemi-pure. I tried it out in a nano along with Purigen. It did its job, but was expensive enough in small quantities. I would not use it on anything larger than a nano.
 
Last edited:

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new