Fowlr safe cuc

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fowlr tank and I need a cuc to eat uneaten food and algae. Mostly the uneaten food. My nitrates are at 5 but it is still enough for hair algae growth. The main fish I am worried about is my snowflake eel at about 20 inches and my niger and picasso trigger. My idea was a urchin to eat algae and it's spines protect itself form predators and a brittle star or a serpent star to eat detritus. Will this work? Will my fish eat them? Which urchin do you recomend?

Chris Ferrell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have urchin once with a Picasso trigger and it did not go well. He literally picked the spines off till he could flip it over and eat it. Any shrimps or crabs might end up lunch in my opinoin, not sure about the niger. I have read that if you feed them heavily they might not bother them but I guess that defeats the problem with excess food. Good luck

saltlife757

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my FOWLR I used to just through a handful of hermit crabs in there every 1-2 months. Most predator tanks will eat most of your CUC over time. That's why I wouldn't worry about spending tons of money of expensive CUC. Just go simple and get the proper amount of hermits according to your tank size. They'll get eaten eventually, so you keep replenishing them. Worked for me

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have urchin once with a Picasso trigger and it did not go well. He literally picked the spines off till he could flip it over and eat it. Any shrimps or crabs might end up lunch in my opinoin, not sure about the niger. I have read that if you feed them heavily they might not bother them but I guess that defeats the problem with excess food. Good luck
Do you know what type of urchin?

p.pep85

got more salt then money
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a large sail fin blenny and i added bristleworms for a cuc. both seem to work and stay alive with my lion and puffers.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the fish in the tank, any inverts will not last long.

Have you considered a foxface or rabbitfish? They are both excellent algae eaters and have venomous dorsal spines, so can handle being with aggressive fish.

GFO or carbon dosing could also be helpful options.

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trial and error. Throw some large snails and small snails, hermits, a urchin and see what lasts. Things workout a lot of times when they shouldn't.

Nigelk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Koran Angel in with my puffer and snowflake for the algae, I also have 2 very large hermits which are brilliant for cleaning up the mess from the puffer and for some reason 3 snails have not been eaten by the puffer so as others say just buy a mix and see what happens.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back