Foxface eats bubble algae?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of foxface or tang eats bubble algae preferably one of the smaller species?

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My one spot foxface (siganus unimaculatus) will nibble at the smaller bits, but wont go after larger clumps of it, but I'm interested what others have experienced. I've not experienced a tang that likes it.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will vary by the individual fish. I had a One Spot Foxface that would devour bubble algae in seconds and the following fish wouldn't even cast it a glance.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It varies. I havent found one more likey to eat than the others, but some individuals are all over it. You can help them by removing or popping as much as you can find - it seems the are more likely to eat it when it is tiny (this tends to be true for most algaes).
It is fine to pop - there are no spores in there. :D

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME scribble rabbitfish, yellow tang, purple tang, and naso tang have eaten bubble algae. I also had a powder blue that I believe was also eating bubble algae. My naso didn't touch any algae until he was 3", after which is appetite exploded. I find fish teach other fish what to eat.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It varies. I havent found one more likey to eat than the others, but some individuals are all over it. You can help them by removing or popping as much as you can find - it seems the are more likely to eat it when it is tiny (this tends to be true for most algaes).
It is fine to pop - there are no spores in there. :D
I'm going to bump this old thread and hopefully @Thales can expand on his statement about the bubble algae.
I was doing a search on bubble algae and read your post. Just looking for information. Not calling you out.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to bump this old thread and hopefully @Thales can expand on his statement about the bubble algae.
I was doing a search on bubble algae and read your post. Just looking for information. Not calling you out.
I think you are asking about the spores part. I talked to phycologists and looked at the literature. Since you can't prove a negative, it actually makes more sense to ask the people that say there are spores to support that claim. Sorry, it has been a bit since I dived deep on this so I don't have any references available. IIRC, the spores are made in the cells, and are not in the bubble cavity. I don't have time right now to look up stuff, so if you are interested try google scholar. :D

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of foxface or tang eats bubble algae preferably one of the smaller species?

A One Spot is about as small as it gets for a Foxface and they can eat it (Mine does). Tangs are hit and miss for bubble algae.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back