Foxface growth rate and lifespan

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 6.5" one spot foxface... wondering its lifespan and growth rate, got him last summer at this size, some say 5 years, if so is he on his way to die? How long do they live? Im thinking it reached 6.5" in a year? Please help thanks

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siganidaes don't live long like tangs can. They grow fast and live short. 5-7 years is apparently the typical life span Longest I've known personally is a previous two barred rabbit I had in a 150g fowlr, it lasted in my care just over estimated 5 years. I got it at about 2.5-3" back in 2008, it passed in late 2013 in all 7" of fat glory.

End game is that you will know if the end is coming, they start to loose color and get generally lethargic. Also the appetite goes down. As you already know rabbitfish are pigs, so you'll know when it's time.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my magnificent fox face for 3 years. He’s probably grown maybe an 1” but has filled out nicely! I wasn’t aware they lived such short lives! F64CB837-3194-46E3-8FDA-7D1798AAC54C.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He still eats but is not too active, if I want to sell him at this size how much should I charge?

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siganidaes don't live long like tangs can. They grow fast and live short. 5-7 years is apparently the typical life span Longest I've known personally is a previous two barred rabbit I had in a 150g fowlr, it lasted in my care just over estimated 5 years. I got it at about 2.5-3" back in 2008, it passed in late 2013 in all 7" of fat glory.

End game is that you will know if the end is coming, they start to loose color and get generally lethargic. Also the appetite goes down. As you already know rabbitfish are pigs, so you'll know when it's time.
How long did it take him to reach7"?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's my experience as well. I've had two one spots foxfaces over the years. Both were probably 4 inches when purchased, grew really fast , topping 7-8 inches and died around 6 or 7 years.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very silly and did not think about keeping a date of when I bought my fish. But When I try to reconstruct the order I bought my fish and the time frame, I think that my rabbit fish (my avatar) is at least 7 years old. He still eat like a pig. He was very small when I got him and grew quite fast.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 6.5" one spot foxface... wondering its lifespan and growth rate, got him last summer at this size, some say 5 years, if so is he on his way to die? How long do they live? Im thinking it reached 6.5" in a year? Please help thanks

Your foxface should live many more years. I got mine in 2014 as a baby, so she’s 9 years old and 8 or 9 inches long. She’s healthy and active and definitely not dying any time soon.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive seen 6+ year foxfaces. A lot will depend on environment, diet and water quality provided

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my one spot foxface for about 5.5 years. I got Ray when he was 3+ inches, and he's over 7 inches now (probably bigger). He's very active and attentive. Eats out of my hand. His colors are great.

All of these posts have me a little worried though. I hadn't thought I could lose him so soon. Never really thought of him as an old fish.:(

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen 6+ year foxfaces. A lot will depend on environment, diet and water quality provided
I've had my one spot foxface for about 5.5 years. I got Ray when he was 3+ inches, and he's over 7 inches now (probably bigger). He's very active and attentive. Eats out of my hand. His colors are great.

All of these posts have me a little worried though. I hadn't thought I could lose him so soon. Never really thought of him as an old fish.:(
Theyre venomous though, ever got stung?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. He'll put his spines up from time to time, but has never been aggressive toward me or any of his tank mates.

As far as venomous goes, they're venomous like a bee or wasp (or more accurately, a catfish) are venomous. Unless you're allergic or highly sensitive, it's more of an irritant than a cause for concern.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All up to the individual fish, both examples for me the two bar rabbit and the previous foxface Lo didn't make it beyond year 6 :crying-face:.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes by them and lion. I think lion was worse but they will have you doing the mexican hat dance for about 20-30 minutes

1674354115594.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back