Foxface rabbitfish

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my first 2 fish today a purple fire fish goby(was supposed to be just a fire fish goby but the company sent me the wrong one…) and a foxface rabbit fish.
So I noticed my wave maker was just way too much for these little guys! So I turned it all the way down. The the foxface kept trying to go over by the power head and I didn’t want an incident! (Especially since these are my first every salt water fish)
The tank is a 20 gallon QT tank with 32 ppm salinity and 11.5 DKH. Water was 50% from display tank(which has been running almost 2 months) and 50% new water. I let it run for a little over 2 weeks with a sponge and filtration.
I let these fish acclimate for 30 or so minutes and the temps were a match. The store I naught them from said no need to drip.
So that is how I left it to go to work. Upon arriving home I found the fox face super gray and almost dead looking sitting under the (not running) wave maker.

I was wondering if that is normal for a foxface or if it’s just stress from travel? Should I feed him tonight? Or wait until the morning?

thanks for the help! Here are the pics!

5A820279-EE28-41F8-B5AB-47EBB4D6EA7C.jpeg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check for ammonia. The fish’s eyes are cloudy and in my experience that means something is off about the water or filtration.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to feed him and see if he eats, just a pinch at first to test his appetite
I did a little bit with seaweed strip I left in the tank all day. Looked like he nibbled a tiny bit. Also he took 1 small piece of food and tried to take another then spit it out.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The changing colour is perfectly normal, its what they do to comouflage themselves against the rocks.
Has he got any hiding places? he probably feels safe near the powerhead.
Nothing to worry about, its all normal.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%

Back