Foxface side bones showing

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface is eating fine and even out competes some of my other fish for food. I've actually stepped up my feedings so much, my other fish started getting obese. He still looks fine from above. You can see curvature to him, but on the side his bones stick out. I was wondering if anyone new what it could be. Only other fish in tank are a 3.5" Yellow tang, 3.5" Tomani Tang, one 3" anthias, a mandarin and a small ocellarius clown.

AF15Ef0.jpg

You can see it going down the side here. Thanks.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has he always looked like that or has he lost weight. If he has lost weight I would wonder about internal parasites.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the other fish are able to fight off the parasite but the foxface could not. I would not rule out the possibility. @Humblefish Let's see what Humble thinks.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the other fish are able to fight off the parasite but the foxface could not. I would not rule out the possibility. @Humblefish Let's see what Humble thinks.
Humble is on vacation:

If I were you I would run a few rounds of prazi pro. Follow directions then on day 5-7 do a 25% water change and do the same dose again. Repeat for third time for best results.

Is he eating?

OP
OP
ahmed.boomer

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble is on vacation:

If I were you I would run a few rounds of prazi pro. Follow directions then on day 5-7 do a 25% water change and do the same dose again. Repeat for third time for best results.

Is he eating?
Eating doesn't seem to be a problem. I just don't have another tank I could house him in due to his size. Is there anything I could soak the food in that would be coral safe? My acros dont react really well to anything in the water.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eating doesn't seem to be a problem. I just don't have another tank I could house him in due to his size. Is there anything I could soak the food in that would be coral safe? My acros dont react really well to anything in the water.

Selcon is safe. Do you offer him nori? My foxface (magnificent foxface) is morbidly obese but she eats nori like crazy.

OP
OP
ahmed.boomer

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selcon is safe. Do you offer him nori? My foxface (magnificent foxface) is morbidly obese but she eats nori like crazy.

Here's a video I took about a week ago. You might get a better idea. He is still somewhat round about the side, but I'll go ahead and get some selcon. I soak the nori in a crushed up vitamin C tablet as well.

(skip to 4:50)

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video I took about a week ago. You might get a better idea. He is still somewhat round about the side, but I'll go ahead and get some selcon. I soak the nori in a crushed up vitamin C tablet as well.

I wouldn't do that with the vitamin c.

Stick to Selcon.

Leave nori in there to graze on all day. Rubber band it to a rock to get him started

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Cleo642 said it is probably worms. If it has tape worms you will see the fish eat and still lose weight. You can try soaking food in praziquantel or look for a medicated food.

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the dosage you need, the 1oz does 120 gallons. I would recommended to quarantine the fish if you are able and treat separately. I normally don't like dosing the tank but the product site does say it can be used in the tank. I have soaked food when a fish has had worms as a last resort if it can't be removed and it cleared it up with no issues.

Sometimes if a fish has worms the other fish get it because as it poops other fish eat it up. So you might be better off getting the 160z just in case unless it is expensive. Selcon is good once you have treated but if you do it before all you are really doing is feeding the worms more nutritious foods. lol

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose my tanks. Removing to qt is unnecessary for this. I've never had any corals or inverts of any kind die. Even feather dusters and worms survive no issue. Turn off skimmer or remove collection cup during treatment.

Also soaking food in prazi pro or any medication is dangerous and can lead to over dosing and a myriad of health issues.

Just my .02.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try first making sure it has access to nori at least every day for several hours and see what that does.

Not that prazi pro is dangerous but it can slightly decrease fish hunger on a fish that doesn't seem too hungry as it is at the moment.

OP
OP
ahmed.boomer

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try first making sure it has access to nori at least every day for several hours and see what that does.

Not that prazi pro is dangerous but it can slightly decrease fish hunger on a fish that doesn't seem too hungry as it is at the moment.
The foxface loves to eat. I probably feed a sheet of 5x5 nori a day ever since I noticed this. I'll try the medication, as long as it's clams & coral safe. I have one tort that I saw with slow tissue necrosis the other day. Hopefully this medication doesn't push it over the edge.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foxface loves to eat. I probably feed a sheet of 5x5 nori a day ever since I noticed this. I'll try the medication, as long as it's clams & coral safe. I have one tort that I saw with slow tissue necrosis the other day. Hopefully this medication doesn't push it over the edge.

I've never tried with clams but I've never heard of it being an issue.

Meds will upset coral for a few days but they rebound just fine IME

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back