Foxface struggling in QT

kylgun22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added this fox face from a trusted store, he is in a 10 gallon QT tank at 1.0ppm Copper Power.
Just found out that the salinity he was housed in was 25 ppt. I run my tanks at 35 ppt and didn’t know he was in low salinity until I put him in my QT.
He is showing stress spots and breathing very rapidly, staying in same corner of tank. Do you guys think this is from the rapid salinity increase from 25 ppt to 35ppt or because the QT tank is too small?
side note: have ran through 3 tangs (separately) in this tank just fine. Parameters are just fine with added oxygen. (picture below) IMG_8292.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1st thought ,turn off lights ,let settle #fishmedic

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just added this fox face from a trusted store, he is in a 10 gallon QT tank at 1.0ppm Copper Power.
Just found out that the salinity he was housed in was 25 ppt. I run my tanks at 35 ppt and didn’t know he was in low salinity until I put him in my QT.
He is showing stress spots and breathing very rapidly, staying in same corner of tank. Do you guys think this is from the rapid salinity increase from 25 ppt to 35ppt or because the QT tank is too small?
side note: have ran through 3 tangs (separately) in this tank just fine. Parameters are just fine with added oxygen. (picture below) IMG_8292.jpeg
Yes it is possible. You Have to raise salinity SLOWLY, You can however drop it quickly. Additionally you must raise copper to at least 2.0 which is the level copper begins to work and add aeration via an air stone

OP
OP
K

kylgun22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is possible. You Have to raise salinity SLOWLY, You can however drop it quickly. Additionally you must raise copper to at least 2.0 which is the level copper begins to work and add aeration via an air stone
2ppt increase every 24 hours?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
2ppt increase every 24 hours?
If this is copper you are referring to, get to level within 24 hours. If salinity, in small increments

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you recommend with salinity?
This does sound like acclimation stress. How is the fish this morning?

For future reference, here is an article on acclimation:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like an acclimation issue (the salinity) - it's not a disease. As to what you should do - 90% of me says - reduce the salinity somewhat the other 10% says leave it. It is certainly stress coloration. - Thus I would lower it some(the salinity) - I would also make sure your ammonia, etc in that tank is ok.

Edit - My colleagues have answered this already - I could not see them when posting - I would follow their recommendations - Mine is watch - with perhaps decreasing the salinity as @vetteguy53081 said - However, not sure his specific gallon amounts time are the same. The issue here is that going from low to high salinity can be extremely problematic. High to low is less stressful for the fish.

I would carefully watch this fish' symptoms. Best wishes - it looks like a young fish (I don't have the measurements) - it looks quite young. Please update everyone.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back