frag plug removal for encrusting type corals?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this will be my first foray into corals but one thing I know for certain is that I kind of hate being able to see the circle/square of the plug left behind underneath encrusting types, so is there any way to remove it from the plug prior to attaching it to the rock I'd like it on?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I trim the frag plug itself to try and salvage encrustment
Other option is to putty it to rock and encrustment will grow over the putty

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trim the frag plug itself to try and salvage encrustment
Other option is to putty it to rock and encrustment will grow over the putty
I have this natural rock in my tank that looks like a dragon head, neck, shoulder, and foot. I want to get a Cyphastrea colony going on it and really don't want any of the plug to show through at all if possible.

20211114_155329_HDR.jpg

20211114_155337_HDR.jpg

20211114_155343_HDR.jpg

20211114_155350_HDR.jpg

20211114_155355_HDR.jpg

20211114_155411_HDR.jpg

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I can think of is if you cut off the stem of the plug. Or you could maybe let it grow out on a egg crate frag rack, and when you see a little skirt growing over the plug, you frag it off and glue it directly on the rock?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see what you want to accomplish. Cyphastrea is a goodvencruster. Get around edge with a thin knife or paring knife and cut around edges and get under and lift it

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it all the time.

you have to get a knife or slim tool under the superglue part, and then break it from the frag.

If it’s already encrusted ONTO the frag you can get it if it hasn’t grown over the edges…..
Wait. Here’s some photos.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

This encrusted over the edge so I didn’t want to take it off the plug. I just snapped the plug stem off. You can use coral clips too to cut the stem or break it from the base.

image.jpg

on this one if I wanted to I could slip a knife under the lip of the encrustment. Get it a good 1/4inch in if you can and then leverage it away from the plug.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, so it can be done, I wasn't 100% sure on it... I've done this to a Blasto frag, but I was able to clearly see the base of the skeleton so it made it easy with an exacto knife. I just wasn't sure if I could on an encrusting type... I'll go check out what my LFS has and make sure I grab one that hasn't encrusted over the edges yet.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The other I was thinking was a Lava Flow Lepto... is that similarly good or should I stick with the Cyphastrea?
for what you want to do- Cyphastrea will be your best bet. Often used to encrusted a soad bottle and ceramic skull

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other I was thinking was a Lava Flow Lepto... is that similarly good or should I stick with the Cyphastrea?
Leptos IMPO grow suuuuppppeeeerrrrr sslllooowwwwww

cyphastrea isn’t fast either but I’d say twice the speed of leptos just my experience with leptos.

Sorry got Leptastrea and Leptoseris mixed up for a second leptos grow good actually.

cyphastrea will build more of a skeletal base while Lepto will kind of more encrust like a Monti.

both are beautiful.

lepto’s I’d say do better in higher light than Cyphastrea.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leptos IMPO grow suuuuppppeeeerrrrr sslllooowwwwww

cyphastrea isn’t fast either but I’d say twice the speed of leptos just my experience with leptos.
Speed isn't so much the part I'm worried about, I am pretty patient, the form-fitting (so as not to lose the shape of the dragon) is what I'm more concerned with. The Lava Flow Lepto just looks really cool and I think a Dragon in red & black would be awesome. I'm just going to have to find a Cyphastrea coloration that I like... Unless you have other suggestions, I am super open to anyone giving advice on which type of coral encrusts and looks the best for what it is I am trying to accomplish.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst case scenario, you snap the stem off of the plug and glue it to the structure. Then, after it grows off of the plug onto the structure, you can remove the section with the plug from the structure, leaving the new encrusted portion behind.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 26 32.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back