Frag rack

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of magnet should I use to make a frag rack?

Thanks
Tom.[emoji41]

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are coated magnets that are housed in a rubberized material or coated in plastic. These would probably work best. You may also find some "marine grade" magnets somewhere but I suspect that they would be a bit more expensive than regular coated magnets.

Twisted_Blenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are NOT reef safe.

it shows they are also coated in nickel-copper coating? i would be nervous copper would leach out into the water?
have you had any issues? how long have u had them in the tank?

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with the disclaimer? Its there for a purpose.

RUNVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it shows they are also coated in nickel-copper coating? i would be nervous copper would leach out into the water?
have you had any issues? how long have u had them in the tank?

I have had them in the tank for about 3 months and haven't noticed anything adverse, the nickel copper nickel is under the plastic, I would think as long as you dont damage the plastic around the magnet it would be fine. I would also think that the frags that I have glued to them would have died by now if the copper was leaching thru the plastic.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with those is that the plastic casings crack over time and develop leaks. The magnets will then start to corrode, but you won't know it because you can't see the magnets. I've tested numerous types of neodymium magnets over the years and had issues with all of them. That's why I started making my own.

Also, read this article for more info:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/magnets-and-your-tank.233/

RUNVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with those is that the plastic casings crack over time and develop leaks. The magnets will then start to corrode, but you won't know it because you can't see the magnets. I've tested numerous types of neodymium magnets over the years and had issues with all of them. That's why I started making my own.

Also, read this article for more info:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/magnets-and-your-tank.233/
Good Article! Makes sense that over time the casing can become weak and brittle, Really Acrylic casing would be the way to go right? because acrylic wont become brittle over time as it used for tank contruction

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. And mine are clear so if they did happen to leak, you could see inside for any oxidation of the magnets.

I have had them in the tank for about 3 months and haven't noticed anything adverse, the nickel copper nickel is under the plastic, I would think as long as you dont damage the plastic around the magnet it would be fine. I would also think that the frags that I have glued to them would have died by now if the copper was leaching thru the plastic.

Good Article! Makes sense that over time the casing can become weak and brittle, Really Acrylic casing would be the way to go right? because acrylic wont become brittle over time as it used for tank contruction

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back