Frag swap, reef roids, and water changes.

HonzGrewber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start off by saying that 3rmas did an amazing job and anyone else involved with the swap. My daughter and i had a great time. I've never been to a swap before. This was all new to me but i definitely learned alot. I learned that there are a ton of people who throughly enjoy this hobby. Some of you i met some i didnt. The vendors were all very friendly and outgoing. Everyone made you feel appreciated. Sometimes i feel im brushed aside at stores because i dont have a huge tank. This is my first attempt at a saltwater aquarium or any aquarium for that matter. A little over 5 years ago i was shopping in monroeville with my daughter. Stopped at elmers as i remember when i was younger how awesome it was to me. Never owned a fish though, weird. I instantly fell in love with saltwater fish and corals. The fish seemed more fascinating and the live rock and corals made it feel alive. Most freshwater ive seen were all artificial and everything seemed fake. To each their own i guess. I was told not to do it and that it was very expensive. I did it anyways. I know now i should of got a bigger tank. It was expensive but not at first. The tank, 55lbs of live rock, sand, stand, light, filter(next tank im doing a sump), glass canopy, test kit, a heater, 2 powerheads, and some other basic things. That wasnt cheap but it wasnt unaffordable. The real cost came from me, trial, and error. I didnt trust forums because there were to many contradictions. Same with people in local stores. One said this the other said that. This changed over the years though as i got to know certain people at certain places. The first 3 years was all me learning something i knew jack **** about but wouldnt give up or allow my tank to fail. I lost corals and thats where the cost was. Hammer, torch, frogspawn corals and ricordea. All to a black sailfin blenny. Who apparently liked to spit sand at them and knock them off the rocks into the sand. A ton of zoas to asterina starfish. Where they came from i still dont know as i always bought from reputable places. I also learned that nothing can be on my sand bed because my pistol shrimp takes them and any shell it finds and builds with them. Ive had 0 issues for over a year and recently added zoas again. As i havent seen a asterina since my harlequin rental. I started a new water change routine and its been working great for me. I started using reef roids and im impressed. Anyone got any tips, suggestions, or comments?
20190413_114548.jpeg

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you pick up at the swap? What size tank is that?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I only picked up a little mushroom. 29g isn't bad. I actually really like smaller tanks. My first and best coral tank I ever had was a 5 gallon all in one.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats wonderful about this hobby is their are only a few absolute rules. "Good things happen very slowly and bad things tend happen quickly" is one of those "rules". Whats great is nanos, medium, large and extra large tanks all have their own character, positives and negative. certainly a 29 gallon can certainly work - as evidence by your picture. Do what you want and enjoy it- that is the whole idea.. right. We all have learned " the hard way " in this hobby and are still learning and hoping to not make more mistakes down the road. Welcome.... If there is anything the club can do for you - let us know.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back