Frag tank cleaners

happysalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey So I have a frag section setup in my sump (24"x 10") and I was having an issue with some of the algae growing on the sides of my plugs. Any recommendations for a good small fish/invert cleanup crew I can throw down there to take care of it?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Damsel would work as long as there is decent flow in the sump. My LFS uses them in their frag tanks to help remove algae. They are also dirt cheap so it wouldn't be a big risk to try one.

OP
OP
happysalt

happysalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention I already have two clowns in there so yea as long as there won’t be any fighting that should more than work. Which damsel would you recommend?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, you already have clownfish in your sump? If so then I wouldn't add any fish to it. Established clowns in a relatively small space would not treat new additions kindly.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a space that small that is a lot of fish. I definitely wouldn't keep 3 fish in there. 1 fish only and remove the clowns as they aren't doing anything that you want.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damsels mentioned are probably springeri and used for flat worm control. Really good at it too. Algae not so much.

As mentioned snails and hermits should be able to keep up but limit light to 6hrs a day and it'll dwindle on its own. Keep a 24hr lighted fuge.

OP
OP
happysalt

happysalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damsels mentioned are probably springeri and used for flat worm control. Really good at it too. Algae not so much.

As mentioned snails and hermits should be able to keep up but limit light to 6hrs a day and it'll dwindle on its own. Keep a 24hr lighted fuge.
Perfect yea will do. Sounds good thanks!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually it's a blue "devil" damsel. My LFS has had one in their frag tank for years and have never directly fed it. It's big and fat too.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back