Frag tank, Pico reef, or bigger upgrade?

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be an ideal second tank? I am struggling on going for a the frag tank, pico reef, or a bigger upgrade. I really like the lagoon open top tanks from reef casa, it is an AIO style, going for their pico reef with a small scape and invert only. Or a frag tank dedicated to frags and collecting, possibly trading or swapping or selling, less on the selling more on the trading and collecting aspect. If I did do a frag tank I would want to catalogue ALL the frags that have been through the tank or to organize it all like a giant pokemon collection. But the frag tanks that reef casa seems unreasonbly small in terms of spacing out frags other than LPS. I was also thinking about upgrading to a bigger tank and get some sump experience as I only have a 15 gal with a canister. The larger upgrade I was looking at was a red sea pennisula on a guy through offer up, It would allow me to get more stock, more scape exp, and sump exp with the bigger more expensive equipment. I would like to keep my purchases to a minimum and not spend anywhere near 1000 at the moment,except stocking it. I also have friends in a distributor so hardware upgrades for AIO would not be as expensive hopefully. I just love the way how pico reefs look and aesthetic, frag tanks would be fun to catalogue everything, and a bigger upgrade would allow me to get more knowledge and hands on with hardware/sump exp.

OP
OP
santeeeyyy

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have enough corals to need a frag tank?
?. I would get a bigger tank as the alarger water volume is easier to keep stable.
Soon, I currently own one tank but real estate is low. I also may start fragging or attempt to frag certain coral once they get big enough. Also I have a green clover polyp that looks like it wasnt doing too good. two of its heads popped or tore off and now they are thriving on their own rockwork. So in case anything in the future pops off like that it would nice having it on a plug. and it would be nice having a tank that I can dedicate to fragging or growing coral. Keep my collecton growing.

Upvote 0

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you there. I have 3 8 foot long frag tanks, and a few 40 breeders full myself. been in the hobby 30 years. Corals grow. It’s a great hobby

Upvote 0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank now?
I slaved a 20g off my sump for 2nd tank.
Same water so easy to move fish and corals between.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
santeeeyyy

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you there. I have 3 8 foot long frag tanks, and a few 40 breeders full myself. been in the hobby 30 years. Corals grow. It’s a great hobby
Yea. My friend works at one of those distributors so I was thinking of getting one of those zoomed frag tanks from them. Only thing is I would have to drill and plumb and I have no experience or ides on how to do any of that lol. I might go the pico reef style for now. And get a cleaner shrimp and mandarin goby. I love their lagoon tanks but I just found someone selling their es shop desk mate for cheap

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back