Frag tank won't clear up! very cloudy

Reefaquarium

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 11, 2011
Messages
270
Reaction score
0
Location
Jensen Beach, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag tank originally had sand which wasn't cleaned and clouded it up for 3 weeks.
I took out the sad over a week ago and it is still very cloudy.
I can barely see what's on the second tier of my frag rack. :(
It's a 14 gallon biocube with nova extreme t5 lighting

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jordan
 
Do you have any live rock in there?

I've found that cloudy water can go away pretty quickly when I would introduce a few pieces of LR. Might be worth a shot.
 
Last edited:
Is it a bacterial blooom? You could try adding a UV to kill some of the excess bacteria off
 
I just have a few small pieces of rubble rock in there.
I will try and put a few more in there I don't have much room..
Thanks for the help!
 
That doesn't necessarily rule out a bacterial bloom. The sand that you had introduced could have easily released bacteria into the water column which could grow into plague proportions.
 
Thanks Viva - I saw the title and was about to link it myself.

Get a UV - borrow one (what I did) and run it.

Mine cleared up partially in two days and was clear in ten days. My UV was underrated with only a 2.7w bulb, but it still worked.
 
Also - I was doing massive water changes also, with no result. I also tried running a filter sock, with no results.

The UV, however, did the trick. I was about to shut it down, too.
 
I'd use carbon, normally it shouldn't take more than 3 weeks, if it did I'd be worried too.
Base rock/live rock tends to aid in the recovery process. Since they're natural sponges.
 
I Doubt that it is bacterial
The tank has only been up for a few weeks. How could bacteria have grown?
I added a media bag of carbon and I only have like 5 real small pieces of rubble rock since there isn't much room cause it's a frag tank.
 
Hmm...

What makes you think it ISN'T bacterial? The fact that there is very little rock? My 40B had only three pieces of rock, all which were dry when added. It also had no sand (never added).

It took me a while to buy into the UV sterilizer as well. Just takes time until you realize that is likely what it going on. Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new