Fragging a sea fan

  • Thread starter Thread starter Steve1500
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Steve1500

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
492
Reaction score
203
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some photosynthetic Pseudopterogorgia sea fans that I would like to propagate.

Any body ever try it? Do I just cut a healthy branch and glue to a plug or is it just not that simple?
 
Maybe i have just been lucky but yes. I cut them the same way as you would an acro. Make sure The tool you use is clean and sterile.
 
My gorgonian has some flesh on it, but has a bony skeleton under the "skin". What I was told by the LFS that I got mine from was to cut it, place it in the sandbed for a couple days till the "skin" died off. Then glue that bony skeleton to a rock. Otherwise the "skin" is whats glued and once it dies off it will become detached.

I have fragged mine several times now using this method and it has never failed me.
 
I like to cut the flesh away exposing the rod and then epoxy them into a hole in a rock.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new