Free floating, fluorescent life

maxtek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be an egg of some kind? There were several of these when I first spotted them. I managed to lose one, popped another on the microscope slide (after the picture was taken), and I’ve left the rest alone. What could they be? Highly fluorescent greenish yellow.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be many things and unless you catch it theres no way to be 100% certain. I'm going to vouch on it being a bioluminescent copepod which emit that distinctive blue-green light. Try turning all the lights on the tank/room off late at night and see what happens.

OP
OP
maxtek

maxtek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught one; here it is under a microscope:

c190c2de06f8bd70a47c88678cf4f3ce.jpg

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say that it would be part of a coral. Many times I have either moved or had to much flow on a coral such as a frogspawn or hammer, or even an sps and part of the flesh is blown off... say for instance the luminescent flesh of a hammer falls off and gets blown around the tank.... it still glows because it is flesh of the coral.... but it has either been blown, or fallen off

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I'm not an algae expert but it looks like a pelagic diatom which are pretty cool. Not like the dreaded diatoms that we experience during cycles and nutrient spikes. Could be a foraminiferan but I'm not sure if they bioluminsece. What power is that microscope btw?

OP
OP
maxtek

maxtek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I'm not an algae expert but it looks like a pelagic diatom which are pretty cool. Not like the dreaded diatoms that we experience during cycles and nutrient spikes. Could be a foraminiferan but I'm not sure if they bioluminsece. What power is that microscope btw?

X100

OP
OP
maxtek

maxtek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say that it would be part of a coral. Many times I have either moved or had to much flow on a coral such as a frogspawn or hammer, or even an sps and part of the flesh is blown off... say for instance the luminescent flesh of a hammer falls off and gets blown around the tank.... it still glows because it is flesh of the coral.... but it has either been blown, or fallen off

A bigger piece broke off and revealed that indeed these are tiny polyps from a hammer sprouting out of the trunk of a large mother colony. Mystery solved! Thanks all!

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral larvae?? Perhaps you had sexual reproduction happen in captivity?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is COOL!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back