Freedom from shells: Have you kept bubble tip anemones?

Have you kept bubble tip anemones?

• Yes, I have successfully kept bubble tip anemones.

Votes: 295 60.7%
  • Yes, I have less-than-successfully kept bubble tip anemones.

Votes: 58 11.9%
  • No, I haven’t kept bubble tip anemones yet but plan to in the future.

Votes: 72 14.8%
  • No, I haven’t kept bubble tip anemones yet and don’t have any plans to keep them.

Votes: 59 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I kept a rainbow BTA years ago when I first got back into the hobby. Then it became 10. Now they’re completely banned from my DT.

If I did try them again, I’d probably do a dedicated nano or frag tank with a CSB and sell off the splits.

CCAF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a porcelain anemone crab for a while
IMG_1085.jpeg

sbbk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freedom from shells: Have you kept bubble tip anemones?

When you think about invertebrates that don’t have a shell, one of the most popular is the anemone and specifically the bubble tip anemone. They come in an array of colors and shapes and are a favorite for many reef keepers for many reasons including their potential for a symbiotic relationship with clownfish. However, because they can be finicky and a mature tank is recommended, not everyone has successfully kept bubble tip anemones. Please let us know if you have successful kept this invertebrate, if you have any related stories, and share any tips that you have for their care.

Pro Tip: Don’t be surprised if your bubble tip changes size or shape or if it goes for a walk. However, this is a good time to evaluate the lighting, flow, temperature, water parameters, feeding, and potential threats to see if there is a reason for these behaviors.

EpicAq_BTA.jpeg

Photo by @Epic Aquaculture

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
I bought one rainbow bubble tip anemone about 3 months ago. It just divided. It is definitely a highlight in the tank. I'm a bit disappointed that my maroon clownfish so far is not interested and stays on the opposite side of the tank. It's definitely one of the coolest things in the aquarium. I don't feed it. It's in a high flow high light area and seems happy.

BionicReef73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one rainbow bubble tip anemone about 3 months ago. It just divided. It is definitely a highlight in the tank. I'm a bit disappointed that my maroon clownfish so far is not interested and stays on the opposite side of the tank. It's definitely one of the coolest things in the aquarium. I don't feed it. It's in a high flow high light area and seems happy.
Give it time it took almost a year before my clowns took to my nems. Do you have 1 or 2 clowns?

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the early successes I had, my BTA was one of them. It split several times over the years and now hosts my maroon goons. I just noticed that it twisted its base in the current and foolishly tried to untwist it. The maroons didn’t like me doing that, but they don’t like much at all
IMG_9438.jpeg

Unicinctus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a relatively new setup and decided to try a couple of BTAs to see if my clowns would host them. The clowns didn't but my two sexy shrimp did. Had them in the tank for a couple of months or more and seemed to be doing fine, feeding quite happily, occasionally moving around the rock, but always wide open and tentacles flowing in the currents. Anyhow, was away from home for a couple of nights and when I returned home they weren't looking as healthy as they had been, nowhere near as big, tentacles looking thiner. I did a couple of 20% water changes over the next few days as the water parameters were a little off, but not massively so. However, the two BTAs continued to shrink in size as each day passed. Within a couple of weeks they were both small nubs on the rock with their tentacles the size of pinheads. They're still alive and occasionally move around the rock, but have not regained their former glory.

BionicReef73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a relatively new setup and decided to try a couple of BTAs to see if my clowns would host them. The clowns didn't but my two sexy shrimp did. Had them in the tank for a couple of months or more and seemed to be doing fine, feeding quite happily, occasionally moving around the rock, but always wide open and tentacles flowing in the currents. Anyhow, was away from home for a couple of nights and when I returned home they weren't looking as healthy as they had been, nowhere near as big, tentacles looking thiner. I did a couple of 20% water changes over the next few days as the water parameters were a little off, but not massively so. However, the two BTAs continued to shrink in size as each day passed. Within a couple of weeks they were both small nubs on the rock with their tentacles the size of pinheads. They're still alive and occasionally move around the rock, but have not regained their former glory.
2 of mine did that I used reef roids and mysis. Took a while but they're coming round now. Then and now. Apologies for the blue didn't think about the light when I took the shot. If you help they will come back

Attachments

• 20230604_104235.jpg
    20230604_104235.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230702_080530.jpg
    20230702_080530.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 18

Unicinctus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of mine did that I used reef roids and mysis. Took a while but they're coming round now. Then and now. Apologies for the blue didn't think about the light when I took the shot. If you help they will come back
Thanks, I'll give it a try and see how they respond

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kept and propagate Colorado sunburst for about 6 years now.

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had rainbows that reproduced like rabbits. I have a Chicago sunburst now that got so big I unfortunately had to remove it and put it in the frag/coral idk what to do with tank. Pretty cool to watch the color transition.
59496A0C-1043-4F73-BEFA-B0E23DE3E4FF.jpeg
71CCEE81-4FB2-4D9D-B2AD-4F7D6F9349A6.jpeg
64D47556-6628-4AE1-92AD-4DDA0B63DA43.jpeg
E7A9D88B-3396-418F-8D0B-924AD43B3CA1.jpeg

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one a few years ago and it has multiplied like crazy. I’ve probably taken 20 to LFS to trade. I told the LFS I got the original from that it won’t stop multiplying and is a nuisance. He laughed and said, yes, they are attractive aiptasia. I have to agree.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 or 3 die. Either added too soon or something was off?
No I have a sand nem and bta that have survived for more than a few months. 1 month with me away.
Maybe my tank has turned the corner?
I've just gone from AI 16HD to hydra 32 and both news have stayed put. The bta is on top of rock work directly under the hydra. Must like the light

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back