Freedom from shells: Have you kept bubble tip anemones?

Have you kept bubble tip anemones?

• Yes, I have successfully kept bubble tip anemones.

Votes: 295 60.7%
  • Yes, I have less-than-successfully kept bubble tip anemones.

Votes: 58 11.9%
  • No, I haven’t kept bubble tip anemones yet but plan to in the future.

Votes: 72 14.8%
  • No, I haven’t kept bubble tip anemones yet and don’t have any plans to keep them.

Votes: 59 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

When you think about invertebrates that don’t have a shell, one of the most popular is the anemone and specifically the bubble tip anemone. They come in an array of colors and shapes and are a favorite for many reef keepers for many reasons including their potential for a symbiotic relationship with clownfish. However, because they can be finicky and a mature tank is recommended, not everyone has successfully kept bubble tip anemones. Please let us know if you have successful kept this invertebrate, if you have any related stories, and share any tips that you have for their care.

Pro Tip: Don’t be surprised if your bubble tip changes size or shape or if it goes for a walk. However, this is a good time to evaluate the lighting, flow, temperature, water parameters, feeding, and potential threats to see if there is a reason for these behaviors.

EpicAq_BTA.jpeg

Photo by @Epic Aquaculture

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long learning curve to get to where I am with 2 successful BTAs. First failure was a very immature tank with not enough light. Second was a still-too-immature tank with... not enough light. Third was a bit of a mystery: came in tiny and just went into a hole and never came out.

Black widow was a big gamble, but I had a hugely successful office nano with all ocean live rock/sand and good light. It's still alive and growing. Most recent rainbow also went into a more mature tank with much better light and is doing great.

Wait until you have a mature system and really good light and your chances of success will likely be much higher with these animals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have them and they split regularly for me

1688562394788.png
1688562542169.png
1688562623063.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you think about invertebrates that don’t have a shell, one of the most popular is the anemone and specifically the bubble tip anemone. They come in an array of colors and shapes and are a favorite for many reef keepers for many reasons including their potential for a symbiotic relationship with clownfish. However, because they can be finicky and a mature tank is recommended, not everyone has successfully kept bubble tip anemones. Please let us know if you have successful kept this invertebrate, if you have any related stories, and share any tips that you have for their care.

Pro Tip: Don’t be surprised if your bubble tip changes size or shape or if it goes for a walk. However, this is a good time to evaluate the lighting, flow, temperature, water parameters, feeding, and potential threats to see if there is a reason for these behaviors.

EpicAq_BTA.jpeg

Photo by @Epic Aquaculture

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
I had a gorgeous BTA that was a pale green (It wasn’t bleached but it wasn’t a deep green) with blue tips. Unfortunately I never successfully kept that guy as my CBB decided to turn on it after 6 months. Prior to that though it was loving life.

KingSyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that’s recent split, anyone know why or how to make it look more “bubbly” mine are healthy but long stringy arms.

Sharkie_Conch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just added ours in the last couple of months but it seems very happy and one of our clowns immediately took it as a host.
PXL_20230611_215427182.jpg
PXL_20230704_221200072.jpg

This tank is just under 2 years old and started really tanking off in January so it's exciting. We're definitely glad we waited until we had a mature tank with good lighting because the nem seems quite content!

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 rainbow bubble tips at the moment and one large 12” black widow that will not split for me. It’s not a bad thing, it’s happy, but it would be nice to sell a split and have the extra cash. I regularly sell the RBTAs for good cash. Usually $50-$100 depending on size.

6D2FCC03-5D4F-41EB-BDC2-E380166CBECA.jpeg
AD345FF8-1EA6-47B1-B3CE-C6B6C0BFF017.jpeg
8BA9911B-76E7-4F5F-AA88-B40D18FC55C5.jpeg

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did. It took a bit for anemone to get established, but then it became a nuisance growing and multiplying and new ones were moving around to find suitable place destroying lots of other coral on the way.
They kept majano infestation at bay though, so when I removed bubble tip, majanos took over the niche, forcing me to brake the tank Down.
I wonder if I should’ve kept bubble tip?
From my experience I concluded that it is more of a species tank than general mixed reef stuff.

peter86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as what mine r doing now must have at least 20 started with 2
Yes I did. It took a bit for anemone to get established, but then it became a nuisance growing and multiplying and new ones were moving around to find suitable place destroying lots of other coral on the way.
They kept majano infestation at bay though, so when I removed bubble tip, majanos took over the niche, forcing me to brake the tank Down.
I wonder if I should’ve kept bubble tip?
From my experience I concluded that it is more of a species tank than general mixed reef stuff.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RBTA that just split into three for me. I have had it for a about a year I believe

I have had really good luck with it staying at the top of its rock structure. I target feed mysis or LRS once a week plus what it catches when I feed the fish.

20230420_184715.jpg
20230418_133536.jpg

Last edited:

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back around 2000 I bought my first one (and a pair of percs) and before I knew it, I had a tank full. Took a break from the hobby when I moved and sold or gave away everything. I started this tank about 10 years ago and the first occupant were a pair of true Perculas and a RBTA. Between the RBTA's (and best efforts to control them) and an alk crash I eventually lost most of my SPS. I had cleaned out about 2/3 of the tank of RBTA's and then during the pandemic just let it go on autopilot. Well getting serious this time and gotten rid of most so far. I started a 32g tank for RBTA's and clowns and still have maybe 5 left to remove and a clown I have not been able to catch yet. Getting close and I can finish coral placement/remodel of my 200.

Here's big mama in her new home yesterday and below a picture showing more recent and below that the first time they took over. If you have at least moderate-high nutrients and good lighting, they will reproduce like cockroaches. So be careful what you wish for with RBTA's. I have literally removed hundreds in the past 10 years.

T11.jpg

t3.jpg

t1.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back