Freedom from shells: Have you kept bubble tip anemones?

Have you kept bubble tip anemones?

• Yes, I have successfully kept bubble tip anemones.

Votes: 295 60.7%
  • Yes, I have less-than-successfully kept bubble tip anemones.

Votes: 58 11.9%
  • No, I haven’t kept bubble tip anemones yet but plan to in the future.

Votes: 72 14.8%
  • No, I haven’t kept bubble tip anemones yet and don’t have any plans to keep them.

Votes: 59 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

Kobin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly keep BTAs and softies! Here's a top down shot of the ones in my display. The orange one on the right I've had for years and it's gotten huge (prob over 12 in or so). My yellowish BTAs and regular RBTA split for me. I have CSBs in another tank.

20230704_165730.jpg
20230704_165802.jpg
20230704_165756.jpg

KenBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any help or advice appreciated as to why my BTA shrunk and lost all color? Bought in May, it moved 3 times, clown fish hosting. Then in mid-June it over a week or two lost all color and shrunk. It even moved again a few inches on the rock and it closes up at night and opens during the day. I fed it mysis once a week and it would close up on it (freaked out the clowns), but in its elephant grayish state it does not respond to krill or mysis. Gentle flow and PAR 280-350 at the top where it is at now in the photos. No gapping mouth open seen, and a wee bit of the fluorescent green at the mouth remains. Any thoughts? The two clowns took to it immediately and sucked on it and molested it non-stop for a month. Too much love? Two pics of now, two pics of before are below, and photos all taken thru orange filter. Moved everything from 20G tank to 55G tank in February. Even began getting new Coraline algae in the new tank, corals growing nicely, so "mature" tank -- maybe yes, maybe no? Water parameters have consistently been within normal ranges (I nerd check couple times a week :astonished-face:) Did have bryopsis outbreak on the newer rock in the aquarium where it stays.

IMG_7554.jpeg IMG_7551.jpeg IMG_7552.jpeg IMG_7422.jpeg

Last edited:

iron_mike_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two many they have multiplied like crazy and r becoming abit of a pest if any one would like to buy any and can collect in Leeds £20 per nem
They look good and are obviously very happy. This is 100% my fear though. I brought one in and it/they have divided a few times. Anyone have any tips for preventing reproduction? Once they attach their heel to a rock, they are nearly impossible to remove!

legendhua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The combination of clownfish and BTAs is what attracts many people to join saltwater aquarium including me.

I've had a BTA from the beginning until now.
For about eight years he kept producing new individuals and I just kept releasing too many anemones.

small tank period
P1055343 公子小丑 紅奶嘴海葵 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

current tank
P1270019 (2) 公子小丑 紅奶嘴海葵 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

After joining the pink skunk clownfish, the clownfish moved.
P1230172 (2) 紅奶嘴海葵 粉紅小丑 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

P1230174 (2) 紅奶嘴海葵 粉紅小丑 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

Zoas can slightly restrict the range of motion of the BTAs.
DSC00880 紅奶嘴海葵 粉紅小丑 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

another resident
P1170024 海葵蟹 紅奶嘴海葵 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

BionicReef73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any help or advice appreciated as to why my BTA shrunk and lost all color? Bought in May, it moved 3 times, clown fish hosting. Then in mid-June it over a week or two lost all color and shrunk. It even moved again a few inches on the rock and it closes up at night and opens during the day. I fed it mysis once a week and it would close up on it (freaked out the clowns), but in its elephant grayish state it does not respond to krill or mysis. Gentle flow and PAR 280-350 at the top where it is at now in the photos. No gapping mouth open seen, and a wee bit of the fluorescent green at the mouth remains. Any thoughts? The two clowns took to it immediately and sucked on it and molested it non-stop for a month. Too much love? Two pics of now, two pics of before are below, and photos all taken thru orange filter. Moved everything from 20G tank to 55G tank in February. Even began getting new Coraline algae in the new tank, corals growing nicely, so "mature" tank -- maybe yes, maybe no? Water parameters have consistently been within normal ranges (I nerd check couple times a week :astonished-face:) Did have bryopsis outbreak on the newer rock in the aquarium where it stays.

IMG_7554.jpeg IMG_7551.jpeg IMG_7552.jpeg IMG_7422.jpeg
You need to figure out what irritating it doesn't look too bad how long have you had the tank running for?

Doogs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first GBTA is splitting right now, I think.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 rainbow bubble tips at the moment and one large 12” black widow that will not split for me. It’s not a bad thing, it’s happy, but it would be nice to sell a split and have the extra cash. I regularly sell the RBTAs for good cash. Usually $50-$100 depending on size.

6D2FCC03-5D4F-41EB-BDC2-E380166CBECA.jpeg
AD345FF8-1EA6-47B1-B3CE-C6B6C0BFF017.jpeg
8BA9911B-76E7-4F5F-AA88-B40D18FC55C5.jpeg
nem with no mouth.jpg
Feed it really heavy for a week or two and then do a large water change. If that doesn't get it dividing then move it into a new tank and it will make like a banana and split! They respond to change it the situation, ime.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 1. Now have 14. After giving 4-5 away. Would love to remove 13 of them but it’s no easy task. And my clown fish ignore them. Haha

corey

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel funny about RBTA, I used to really like them then they split and split and split, then they killed 800$ worth of corals, then I pulled out 6 and traded to local store … damaged a few pulling them out… they regrew.

Now I have one in back of tank that’s starting to hit an acro I really like from time to time…. But I don’t really want to pull the rock might damage things…..

So I mostly find them annoying when I look at them now.

But I have a maroon and she sure likes having it.

Very similar feelings to pulsing Xenia or some other similar soft corals I have had that want to suffocate my clams and other corals.

I mean it all makes sense right, they all need to fight for space on the real reef….

Ahhh don’t forget that my copperband “shells” (kids named him) he is pushing the RBTA for most coral kills….. but I’m not too mad cause I kinda like him and his doctor Suesseyness but he’s up to like 400$ in coral… let’s not tell my wife.

Things I wish I knew before I bought them…..

Galaxia will trash any coral within 8 inches…..it was a nice acan though now it’s a cool white coral check it out dad!

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nem with no mouth.jpg
Feed it really heavy for a week or two and then do a large water change. If that doesn't get it dividing then move it into a new tank and it will make like a banana and split! They respond to change it the situation, ime.

It’s fed daily, it shrinks and poops daily, I’ve surprised it with water changes and nothing. It’s happy. Not going to go through the trouble of moving it. I agree, stress/ change normally brings about a split as the anemone wants to survive. I’ve always wondered, splitting is good for our wallets, but is it a sign the anemone is not happy and/or healthy.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s fed daily, it shrinks and poops daily, I’ve surprised it with water changes and nothing. It’s happy. Not going to go through the trouble of moving it. I agree, stress/ change normally brings about a split as the anemone wants to survive. I’ve always wondered, splitting is good for our wallets, but is it a sign the anemone is not happy and/or healthy.
Splitting into two is a good method to expand the nems chances of survival and it provides more homegrown creatures for our aquarium habits.
The last time mine split I took one of the three to my buddies fish store to support his business and to spread the joy of the beautiful creature I am keeping. Someone else now has a beautiful anemone just like mine.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love me some bubble tip anemones but it's a MUST for me for them to be paired with clownfish!

BionicReef73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at them splitting as a sign of health. If the food source is plentiful it will split naturally. It's when you know when it stress split that one should be worried. Mine has split 3 time in almost 3 years. Very rarely closes up only to expel waste. Then back to full bloom. I have noticed when in the beginning it would loose its bubbles. But I believe that was stress related and once the water matured it had no reason to move or stress out the bubbles returned and haven't left since

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually have one in a "young" aquarium. LFS said I would be able to do it. the clowns pay no attention to it but the cleaner shrimp seem to be hosting.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back