Freezing Temps Convert ORA into Sea Turtle Warming Center Again

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For a second winter in a row, freezing overnight temperatures in Florida put marinelife at risk. In a recurrence of the cold snap in January 2010, Florida ornamental marine fish and coral farmer ORA jumped into action last week to serve as a warming center for marine sea turtles, stunned by the extreme cold. As the last of the well-rested (and toasty warm) sea turtles are returned to the water just before Christmas hits, we talked with Dustin Dorton of ORA to get the inside scoop on ORA’s participation in this seasonal sea turtle rescue.

Organizations around the state of Florida were out in force dealing with turtles in crisis, locating cold stunned turtles either washed up on beaches or in the case of most ORA rescues, floating in the Indian River and Mosquito Lagoons. Quite simply, if a turtle makes no attempt to escape when rescuers grab it, the turtle is deemed cold stunned and brought in for special care.

“It’s hard to say exactly how many turtles we housed this time around,†said Dorton. “Every day [FWC] would bring some in, and others would leave.†Dorton estimates at least 100 sea turtles recuperated in multiple 5,000 gallon holding tanks at ORA.

READ MORE HERE at Reef Builders

5278667521_fa8b7b3bf8_z.jpg

smoq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's so nice. I remember visiting Turtle Hospital in the Keys, I admire those people helping animals, especially when it comes to sea turtles as they are so vulnerable. Thumbs up ORA!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back