French Angel not eating

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my French Angel for about seven weeks. He was net caught in the keys and sent up to me. Made it through QT with flying colors always eating like a beast. About a week ago I started noticing he wasn’t eating. Other than grabbing a pellet or two I haven’t seen him eat since. Normally he was an indiscriminate eater. He was treated for two weeks in QT with General Cure soaked food. Also I have tried soaking food recently in garlic without any luck. Any thoughts or suggestions. Any food that will simply be irresistible?

BBE72361-72C9-4EEE-93F6-3CB068076DFA.jpeg

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your tank load (how many fish)? How big is your tank? How long has your tank been set up? Has anything changed recently no matter how unrelated?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has something changed, water quality?, having angst with a tank mate? Could you say his appetite even got insatiable before he stopped eating? This is also a sign of internal parasites. More and more I'm finding it takes more than one round of treatment for many angels. Please don't wait too long if you determine his waining in appetite isn't water quality or stress related.

Was he treated with anything else and are you sure he was naturally collected.

Fresh clams, mussel, tuna, or salmon; the key is fresh. In the wild the majority of their diet is sponges, so if you have live sponge growing in your sump, he may take to it; I've tried other sponges with no success.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your tank load (how many fish)? How big is your tank? How long has your tank been set up? Has anything changed recently no matter how unrelated?
Tank is 650 gallons. Set up only since March but with rock that had been Cycled since November. Current bioload is French, Queen Angel, Naso, Blonde Naso, Fowleri, Heniochus, clown trigger. The French and Queen were added the same day and no new addditons since. The only thing new is a week ago I added an ATS to the system.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has something changed, water quality?, having angst with a tank mate? Could you say his appetite even got insatiable before he stopped eating? This is also a sign of internal parasites. More and more I'm finding it takes more than one round of treatment for many angels. Please don't wait too long if you determine his waining in appetite isn't water quality or stress related.

Was he treated with anything else and are you sure he was naturally collected.

Fresh clams, mussel, tuna, or salmon; the key is fresh. In the wild the majority of their diet is sponges, so if you have live sponge growing in your sump, he may take to it; I've tried other sponges with no success.

Insatiable....he was a hog before he stopped. He is big though, about 10”. He shared his QT tank with a 7” Queen and ultimately I sectioned off the tank so the Queen could have a chance to eat. If internal parasites were present would dosing to the water be the best option as I can’t get him to take food?
He was collected by a diver in the keys who states he only net collects. I dealt directly with the diver.
Will get some fresh sea food and try that too!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ask about collection is because they do use chemicals to stun the fish so they can net collect them, there would likely be some lethargy and erratic behavior if this happened.

Dosing the water column is your only choice when a fish doesn't eat. General cure is your best choice because it contains both prazi and metro to cover a broader range of parasites.

Have you seen any other signs like stringy poo. That is a gorgeous fish, I hope you get it figured out.

Oh I forgot, live black worms, I've gotten a number of picky Angel's eatingbwith those.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well went through two rounds of general cure. After first round I noticed French head twitching some as I assumed the flukes spasm. A few other fish did this as well. Second dose no reaction from any fish. The French’s activity level definitely increased after this but still no eating for another 10 days. Then about four days ago started picking on nori! Then today he started accepting everything! He turned the corner! Thanks so much for all the help!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is poop normal or white? If white, may be internal parasite.
Try nori seaweed basted with garlic extract.
Mysis shrimp and small plankton are favorites as is LRS herbivore diet

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well went through two rounds of general cure. After first round I noticed French head twitching some as I assumed the flukes spasm. A few other fish did this as well. Second dose no reaction from any fish. The French’s activity level definitely increased after this but still no eating for another 10 days. Then about four days ago started picking on nori! Then today he started accepting everything! He turned the corner! Thanks so much for all the help!!!

You would be surprised how stubborn some of these parasites are, especially with some of the more notoriously difficult species. Unless he is really eating good with no concerns, It wouldn't be a bad idea to add some metroplex/focus to the food now that he is eating.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be surprised how stubborn some of these parasites are, especially with some of the more notoriously difficult species. Unless he is really eating good with no concerns, It wouldn't be a bad idea to add some metroplex/focus to the food now that he is eating.
Will do just that! I was so thrilled when I saw him eat. He had become so listless and lethargic and his abdomen became really pinched in.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back