French Butterfly - another success story

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking maybe many of us haven’t had the pleasure of seeing or working with this beautiful butterfly fish so I wanted to post some pics.

After 4 weeks of quarantine and slowly raising the temp, we have successfully reached the customers tank safe and sound, and on the customers 78th Birthday too!
These fish are collected by a legend and held in 68 degree temps for a couple weeks before sending to us. We match temp and raise temp up to 75 degrees F over the 4 week conditioning process but actually reach 75 in 3 weeks so we can observe at target temp for a week before shipping.
These fish are great eaters and super nice fish to have in your collection. Will not eat corals (famous last words I know).
Enjoy!

French Butterfly

F517FC4C-3BE7-4065-B718-0984A844A313.jpeg F7034E0E-2B7D-451F-B891-91556A3C622A.jpeg 00BBF039-D22A-48B9-BC7D-40D6DDC22548.jpeg 55ADC7F9-5731-4273-8EB4-22126AFEA05A.jpeg 0EAF39E9-CC4A-47F4-868B-508A9084A42F.jpeg 9B932977-73FC-446E-BA55-FAE1397A1B0B.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7781.MOV
    12 MB

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It always awes me to see people with collections of deepwater fish not seen in your average tank. In fact I’d gladly go FOWLR if I had a collection like that. Even more impressive considering that a lot of rare deepwater fish don’t make their way to US / Europe but Japan and sometimes Hong Kong.

OP
OP
Eric Cohen

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eric Cohen What size is this customer’s setup and can you give a full stocking list? So far I see, apart from the butterfly:

1 Jordani Wrasse
1 Japanese Sakura Anthias
1 Multicolor Angel
1 Joculator Angel
1 Bandit Angel
This is a 110 gallon system. Add to the list of fish, a zebra polyzona tang, a pair of Flathead Perch, swissguard basslet, maze angel, Barbonius anthias, wrought iron butterfly, and maybe that’s it? Lol. This customer and I have been discussing tank limits for a year now. I have also had conversations with his service guy (good guy) who is doing weekly service to this tank now. Customer turned 80 on the day he received the French! A pic from today below.

Attachments

• 3231A29A-4AC6-476A-884A-BA1E298E076E.jpeg
    3231A29A-4AC6-476A-884A-BA1E298E076E.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 76

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking maybe many of us haven’t had the pleasure of seeing or working with this beautiful butterfly fish so I wanted to post some pics.

After 4 weeks of quarantine and slowly raising the temp, we have successfully reached the customers tank safe and sound, and on the customers 78th Birthday too!
These fish are collected by a legend and held in 68 degree temps for a couple weeks before sending to us. We match temp and raise temp up to 75 degrees F over the 4 week conditioning process but actually reach 75 in 3 weeks so we can observe at target temp for a week before shipping.
These fish are great eaters and super nice fish to have in your collection. Will not eat corals (famous last words I know).
Enjoy!

French Butterfly

F517FC4C-3BE7-4065-B718-0984A844A313.jpeg F7034E0E-2B7D-451F-B891-91556A3C622A.jpeg 00BBF039-D22A-48B9-BC7D-40D6DDC22548.jpeg 55ADC7F9-5731-4273-8EB4-22126AFEA05A.jpeg 0EAF39E9-CC4A-47F4-868B-508A9084A42F.jpeg 9B932977-73FC-446E-BA55-FAE1397A1B0B.jpeg
Glad you figured out the temperature acclamation with them!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 110 gallon system. Add to the list of fish, a zebra polyzona tang, a pair of Flathead Perch, swissguard basslet, maze angel, Barbonius anthias, wrought iron butterfly, and maybe that’s it? Lol. This customer and I have been discussing tank limits for a year now. I have also had conversations with his service guy (good guy) who is doing weekly service to this tank now. Customer turned 80 on the day he received the French! A pic from today below.
You’re missing the big guy at top!
Tiger/Kingi Angel

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beautiful butterfly, not bad for a birthday present. I love tanks that are more dedicated to keeping these beauties and care a little less about the corals, bandit angelfish and WI butterflyfish are amazing fish, great job with the progressive change in temperature Eric.

OP
OP
Eric Cohen

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

Customer reports today that his fish and tank are doing great. Exact comment is: "The Friends are Playing Nicely" and then he asks me to give him a deal on an Interruptus angel I have....but it's too small and too soon for his tank....And to be completely candid....he wants too low a price since he's used to the captive bred price we just had so many at, and the angel I have now is wild caught and nearly double the cb price.....he'll have to wait:)

Hope everyone has a great Holiday Weekend!

PS.....Madagascar fish coming in this weekend and I will have a special on small Tiger angels....just a couple. Oh, and even more exciting.....Ill have some juv Madagascar clownfish coming in to pair with the big ones we have had now for a while and through quarantine....so finally we will have some pairs as long as we can get the juv through qt. So if you've been following this thread....you're in the know:)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

Customer reports today that his fish and tank are doing great. Exact comment is: "The Friends are Playing Nicely" and then he asks me to give him a deal on an Interruptus angel I have....but it's too small and too soon for his tank....And to be completely candid....he wants too low a price since he's used to the captive bred price we just had so many at, and the angel I have now is wild caught and nearly double the cb price.....he'll have to wait:)

Hope everyone has a great Holiday Weekend!

PS.....Madagascar fish coming in this weekend and I will have a special on small Tiger angels....just a couple. Oh, and even more exciting.....Ill have some juv Madagascar clownfish coming in to pair with the big ones we have had now for a while and through quarantine....so finally we will have some pairs as long as we can get the juv through qt. So if you've been following this thread....you're in the know:)
Got any wrasses coming in (UK here however I’m still interested in what rarities America gets in)?

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric, I would like to ask you about Centropyge resplendens, my favorite fish of all time, do you know anyone who keeps it today? Could you provide some data on this magnificent fish? For example, I understand that during the 90's it was a fish that could be considered common and even had a fairly affordable price, and in the midle 2000's I saw this fish even offered in LA for a price close to the $1000 usd, but I don't know exactly when it came out of the market due to the protection of the Asension Islands, and I know that some of these fish are found in Asia, and outside of them, I also know of the hybrid with C.argi that Copps maintains.

OP
OP
Eric Cohen

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any wrasses coming in (UK here however I’m still interested in what rarities America gets in)?
Man I sure hope we get some wrasses. The flasher kind! Lol. It’s been so hard to get them!
Eric, I would like to ask you about Centropyge resplendens, my favorite fish of all time, do you know anyone who keeps it today? Could you provide some data on this magnificent fish? For example, I understand that during the 90's it was a fish that could be considered common and even had a fairly affordable price, and in the midle 2000's I saw this fish even offered in LA for a price close to the $1000 usd, but I don't know exactly when it came out of the market due to the protection of the Asension Islands, and I know that some of these fish are found in Asia, and outside of them, I also know of the hybrid with C.argi that Copps maintains.
i vaguely remember early in the 90’s I saw one shipment of them. The guy to ask would be Jim Stime from LA Fish guys. He has that fish on his logo and it’s his favorite fish for sure.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I sure hope we get some wrasses. The flasher kind! Lol. It’s been so hard to get them!

i vaguely remember early in the 90’s I saw one shipment of them. The guy to ask would be Jim Stime from LA Fish guys. He has that fish on his logo and it’s his favorite fish for sure.
Madagascan Flashers are stunning but the Attenuatus is just perfect IMO.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.2%
Back