Fresh Airline - Major Issue?

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Florida which in the summer months is filled with mosquitos, and I just installed a fresh air line this afternoon, and I wanted to see the results. I was sitting in my house and heard the hum of a Mosquito truck which sprays pesticide into the air in an attempt to kill mosquitos. I immediately pulled the fresh air line inside and am now concerned with the potential for significant issues. My fresh airline is about 50 feet from the street where they spray. What would be the effect of this in my aquarium? How could I run a fresh air line and prevent incidents like this?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Florida which in the summer months is filled with mosquitos, and I just installed a fresh air line this afternoon, and I wanted to see the results. I was sitting in my house and heard the hum of a Mosquito truck which sprays pesticide into the air in an attempt to kill mosquitos. I immediately pulled the fresh air line inside and am now concerned with the potential for significant issues. My fresh airline is about 50 feet from the street where they spray. What would be the effect of this in my aquarium? How could I run a fresh air line and prevent incidents like this?

You would need a filter and would have to find out what pesticides are used. The simplest way would be to run the air tube through a carbon reactor, however carbon won't work for all pesticides. You'd also have to keep on top of changing carbon fairly regularly, hard to tell how often. Other filtration options are more expensive and likely to exceed the savings vs. installing a CO2 scrubber.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back