Fresh & Saltwater tank storage outside

DesertReefer51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a few posts on here about folks storing their storage tanks outside but all seem to be in warm to consistent temperature areas. I'm in Phoenix, also known as hell during the summer months. This last summer temperatures were 108-115 for multiple weeks. Usually, our winters reach low 40's. I plan on the placement of the tank on the side west side of the house, out of the direct sunlight for most of the day. I also plan to enclose the tanks.

My concerns are not so much the cold as I planned on keeping smaller storage tanks on the inside of the house that would be kept at a regulated temperature. The concern is the outside heat causing the possible algae growth in the storage tanks. Direct sunlight is not a factor but air temperature during the summer months. I'm curious if anyone has their tanks outside and how they deal with the environmental factors.

The reason for this setup is due to a limited amount of space in the room of the DT and unfortunately, the garage is not adjacent or accessible.

Thanks for any info or experiences.

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in nyc and mine is in my yard only time I’ve had a problem is in the winter. Granted in the summer it hits the upper ninety’s no problems in a 20g brute

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a few posts on here about folks storing their storage tanks outside but all seem to be in warm to consistent temperature areas. I'm in Phoenix, also known as hell during the summer months. This last summer temperatures were 108-115 for multiple weeks. Usually, our winters reach low 40's. I plan on the placement of the tank on the side west side of the house, out of the direct sunlight for most of the day. I also plan to enclose the tanks.

My concerns are not so much the cold as I planned on keeping smaller storage tanks on the inside of the house that would be kept at a regulated temperature. The concern is the outside heat causing the possible algae growth in the storage tanks. Direct sunlight is not a factor but air temperature during the summer months. I'm curious if anyone has their tanks outside and how they deal with the environmental factors.

The reason for this setup is due to a limited amount of space in the room of the DT and unfortunately, the garage is not adjacent or accessible.

Thanks for any info or experiences.
I live in Los Angeles, but I built an insulated shed and it’s in my courtyard under a huge oak tree.

29A5A7BD-00F4-499A-83CE-33F65D610747.jpeg

9E4C5F67-DF0F-44B3-B5BB-853FC2E79925.jpeg

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines outside, direct sunlight, in s florida. It grows stuff on the container. Every few months I clean it out. And thats it.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you keep it sealed and it doesn't get any light it will not grow algae. I keep 55 gallons of saltmix and 55 gallons of rodi in my garage in oklahoma. It gets 100+ during the summer and near 0 in the winter. Now the garage doesn't get that extreme, but in the summer time I need to monitor the salinity in my mix since it does evaporate.

I keep a month supply and have not seen any growth. I do use black storage containers.

OP
OP
DesertReefer51

DesertReefer51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your experiences.

I live in nyc and mine is in my yard only time I’ve had a problem is in the winter. Granted in the summer it hits the upper ninety’s no problems in a 20g brute
A4edwin, I previously lived in South Jersey, I remember the muggy summers and frozen winters. It was a PITA to keep anything outside.

I live in Los Angeles, but I built an insulated shed and it’s in my courtyard under a huge oak tree.

29A5A7BD-00F4-499A-83CE-33F65D610747.jpeg

9E4C5F67-DF0F-44B3-B5BB-853FC2E79925.jpeg
tricky_tran, This is exactly what I was thinking about doing. Nice work and thanks for the photos.

Mines outside, direct sunlight, in s florida. It grows stuff on the container. Every few months I clean it out. And thats it.
sharpimage, Do you keep yours under any kind of shade?

As long as you keep it sealed and it doesn't get any light it will not grow algae. I keep 55 gallons of saltmix and 55 gallons of rodi in my garage in oklahoma. It gets 100+ during the summer and near 0 in the winter. Now the garage doesn't get that extreme, but in the summer time I need to monitor the salinity in my mix since it does evaporate.

I keep a month supply and have not seen any growth. I do use black storage containers.
MarshallB, My original plan was to store everything in the garage but a recent house remodel, wife's decision, stopped that idea. The next best thing is storing everything outside on the exterior wall next to the DT. I've been trying to design some cabinets to store the tanks inside the house but all designs come out too big and not meeting the wife's approval.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your experiences.

A4edwin, I previously lived in South Jersey, I remember the muggy summers and frozen winters. It was a PITA to keep anything outside.

tricky_tran, This is exactly what I was thinking about doing. Nice work and thanks for the photos.

sharpimage, Do you keep yours under any kind of shade?

MarshallB, My original plan was to store everything in the garage but a recent house remodel, wife's decision, stopped that idea. The next best thing is storing everything outside on the exterior wall next to the DT. I've been trying to design some cabinets to store the tanks inside the house but all designs come out too big and not meeting the wife's approval.
Never got around to building something around it. Going on 5 years now

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah. My garage has no room for the tanks. My wife, at first, was against the shed, then she caved. I built it on the wall where the DT is. I’m going to be drilling a hole to run some hoses for auto water changes/top off too. Waiting for electrician to come and install an outlet inside.

Back