fresh to salt water

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone i want some opinions on this and suggestions, as many of you know I currently have 120 gal reef tank and I also have a 90 fresh. The fresh tank I've had for about 5 years almost 6 years now, though unfortunately I don't have the love for that I had when it was my only tank, my reef tank wins that hands down. My dad mentioned to me about switching it to salt as I want to a seahorse/pipefish tank. I would have to drill the 90 (that doesn't bother me) and get equipment for it. How many seahorses do you think i could do in the tank and any other issues I would run into switching the tank from fresh to salt?

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, just want to get the right eyes and more eyes that can help you. :)

thank you very much, i wasnt sure where to post it to begin with

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used any medications in the tank...ever...?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Steven91,

I do not see a problem with using your 90 gallon FW tank and converting it into a SW tank for seahorses. When it comes to seahorses Dan Underwood at Seahorse Source says that there should be 30 gallons for each pair of ponies. So for a 90 gallon tank you could keep 6 seahorses.

Seahorses are vastly different in the way they are kept as compared to other SW fish due to their susceptibility of getting bacterial infections. THEY MUST HAVE EXCEPTIONAL WATER QUALITY TO REMAIN HEALTHY. Very good water quality is maintained with frequent large water changes, an oversized skimmer, 10Xs or more turnover rate through the filtration and diligent over the top husbandry. For example: I have 3 seahorses in a 50 gallon system and I do 24 gallons a week in water changes. If you are keeping 6 seahorses, you may be doing over 40 gallons a week depending on how you feed, the filtration ect... It is costly and can be back breaking if your water change method is not well thought out. If you were willing to keep less seahorses, then smaller WCs could be done.

I have been keeping erectus seahorses for over 4 years. I have tried keeping them with docile fish and with a sandbed. For me, I decided my ponies stay healthier in a species only tank with a painted bare bottom (to look like sand). I do have live rock, some hardy soft coral and macro algae so the tank is still natural looking.

These are just some things to consider. I recommend doing lots of research before you make the switch. This topic has lots of good information in the stickies that should help you. There are a number of us who will be happy to answer questions too.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used any medications in the tank...ever...?

Have never used any meds in the tank.

Hi Steven91,

I do not see a problem with using your 90 gallon FW tank and converting it into a SW tank for seahorses. When it comes to seahorses Dan Underwood at Seahorse Source says that there should be 30 gallons for each pair of ponies. So for a 90 gallon tank you could keep 6 seahorses.

Seahorses are vastly different in the way they are kept as compared to other SW fish due to their susceptibility of getting bacterial infections. THEY MUST HAVE EXCEPTIONAL WATER QUALITY TO REMAIN HEALTHY. Very good water quality is maintained with frequent large water changes, an oversized skimmer, 10Xs or more turnover rate through the filtration and diligent over the top husbandry. For example: I have 3 seahorses in a 50 gallon system and I do 24 gallons a week in water changes. If you are keeping 6 seahorses, you may be doing over 40 gallons a week depending on how you feed, the filtration ect... It is costly and can be back breaking if your water change method is not well thought out. If you were willing to keep less seahorses, then smaller WCs could be done.

I have been keeping erectus seahorses for over 4 years. I have tried keeping them with docile fish and with a sandbed. For me, I decided my ponies stay healthier in a species only tank with a painted bare bottom (to look like sand). I do have live rock, some hardy soft coral and macro algae so the tank is still natural looking.

These are just some things to consider. I recommend doing lots of research before you make the switch. This topic has lots of good information in the stickies that should help you. There are a number of us who will be happy to answer questions too.

Thank you for the information. I'm just trying to get information and research keeping seahorses. I know I would ideally have a decent pod population in the the tank as well. And six ponies would make the tank look nice, maybe have some luck breeding then

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have anything else I should know or might be an issue with this?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back