Freshwater guy looking to make the jump

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
I have been browsing this forum for a few months now and took the plunge in making an account. I have been part of MANY forums over the years( I have entirely too many hobbies lol) but this one seems to be one of the best and such a great community!

I started a thread over in the New to Saltwater section to try and figure out what my plan of attack will be. If you have a chance give it a look and any helpful pointers will be much appreciated.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As you msy know.. stocking , cycling, feeding is a huge difference from freshwater.
You’ll love this journey

welcome to the R2R community !!

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Saltwater isn’t all that hard once you understand it.

#1 tip: don’t chase numbers
Over testing and constantly chasing parameters leads to disaster. Just keep it stable

That totally makes sense. I have done a ton of research about starting a saltwater system and I don't think it will be too bad. My main problem is what system to start with and picking the right equipment to not go overboard in the beginning lol. I have a feeling if I picked something like the JBJ 45 or 65 AIO setup that I will spend less time "tinkering" and more time enjoying my first saltwater tank.

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you msy know.. stocking , cycling, feeding is a huge difference from freshwater.
You’ll love this journey

welcome to the R2R community !!

The first few days I of research on saltwater was completely overwhelming. There is so many new terms and huge changes when it comes to this journey. All in all I have a decent understanding of what it takes to start and run a saltwater tank, im sure the rest will be figured out in time.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! If you haven't already seen it, you may want to take a look at this R2R article:

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef 2 reef!

If you played with planted tanks you'll be fine. Biggest thing is auto top off. If you have that then setting salinity and going for it will get you started. Don't worry about other elements to much to start until you get ready to put more than 2 or 3 coral in.

You see these really nice setups with all the bells and whistles. Just remember it's not needed. Like a planted tank vs a planted tank with co2 injection, high light, and trimming every few days. You can have a nice low tech planted tank too.

Everyone here is more than willing to help. Just ask!

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That totally makes sense. I have done a ton of research about starting a saltwater system and I don't think it will be too bad. My main problem is what system to start with and picking the right equipment to not go overboard in the beginning lol. I have a feeling if I picked something like the JBJ 45 or 65 AIO setup that I will spend less time "tinkering" and more time enjoying my first saltwater tank.

if your like me learn from my mistakes. Dont go AIO system !

you'll soon learn that a AIO system will not satisfy your want for better water quality and ability to increase water volume. and space for more equipment. even the ability to keep other harder coral down the road!
I had a 40 gallon AIO that I found to be a waste of money cause I put more money into it by upgrading to a sump to finally achieve a overall better more stable system. Spend the money on a nice 75 gallon reef ready tank with sump and overflow built into tank.

AIO systems arent worth it unless you plan on keeping a fish only tank with some softie hardy coral.

spent 1000 on the tank and probaly another 1500 upgrading it to a sump.

But if you do still wanna go to a AIO tank id recommend the e-series from red sea.

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! If you haven't already seen it, you may want to take a look at this R2R article:

I have not seen this yet. Thank you for the post !

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef 2 reef!

If you played with planted tanks you'll be fine. Biggest thing is auto top off. If you have that then setting salinity and going for it will get you started. Don't worry about other elements to much to start until you get ready to put more than 2 or 3 coral in.

You see these really nice setups with all the bells and whistles. Just remember it's not needed. Like a planted tank vs a planted tank with co2 injection, high light, and trimming every few days. You can have a nice low tech planted tank too.

Everyone here is more than willing to help. Just ask!

That is the perfect way to put it!
I have bad both style panted tanks and they both ran perfect! One just cost way more and I spent more time upgrading it then just watching it.

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your like me learn from my mistakes. Dont go AIO system !

you'll soon learn that a AIO system will not satisfy your want for better water quality and ability to increase water volume. and space for more equipment. even the ability to keep other harder coral down the road!
I had a 40 gallon AIO that I found to be a waste of money cause I put more money into it by upgrading to a sump to finally achieve a overall better more stable system. Spend the money on a nice 75 gallon reef ready tank with sump and overflow built into tank.

AIO systems arent worth it unless you plan on keeping a fish only tank with some softie hardy coral.

spent 1000 on the tank and probaly another 1500 upgrading it to a sump.

But if you do still wanna go to a AIO tank id recommend the e-series from red sea.

So my main plan was to have a fish tank with a few softies. I love the look of full on reef tanks but I really enjoy watching the live stock.

What AIO tank did you go with?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 142 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.0%
Back