Freshwater vs Refugium light

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried searching and have been researching for a while but can't make my mind up. Who has used both a dedicated refugium light (pink/purple light) and also tried a freshwater light over their refugium? which did you prefer, also which do you felt grew cheato better?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a light over my refugium that can be either "white" or "blue." I run it on white because the blue is difficult to look at. I also have an adjustable spectrum LED array under the cabinet for illumination when I am working around the sump. That one runs on white also, again because red, orange, yellow, green, and blue are all difficult to look at, imo.

The spectrum color of a grow light or a "freshwater" light doesn't tell us how much par it provides, which is a more reliable indicator of a plants response may be to having any light over it.

I have looked at those dedicated "Vegetation" LED's and observed them on fuges and scrubbers and would prefer to have a "Daylight" LED array for Chaeto growth because the light spill over is more easy to look at.

Kelvin 5000K, or 6500K, or close to those numbers is a reasonable growlight bulb. The red vegetative bulbs are good for weeds including hair algae, either light, if it has more actual wattage, to my understanding, is likely going to provide more usable light for Chaeto growth.

The makers of these lights are generally careful to downplay Par, Kelvin, and actual watts because they want you to guess and buy their light based upon the hype words like "amazing growth, best growth, more growth" and as mentioned, without real numbers I suggest you buy the light with the white spectrum, it is easier to look at for most people. Red is the next best for growth and looking at, and blue is likely bad for your eyes. HTH> :cool:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, the "purple light" is for cost savings. They just don't add any unnecessary spectrum to the refugium light. I run a fresh water led on my refugium and prefer it. It's a 40 breeder display refuge with dragon breath and red grape macro algae.

OP
OP
Blade*13

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a light over my refugium that can be either "white" or "blue." I run it on white because the blue is difficult to look at. I also have an adjustable spectrum LED array under the cabinet for illumination when I am working around the sump. That one runs on white also, again because red, orange, yellow, green, and blue are all difficult to look at, imo.

The spectrum color of a grow light or a "freshwater" light doesn't tell us how much par it provides, which is a more reliable indicator of a plants response may be to having any light over it.

I have looked at those dedicated "Vegetation" LED's and observed them on fuges and scrubbers and would prefer to have a "Daylight" LED array for Chaeto growth because the light spill over is more easy to look at.

Kelvin 5000K, or 6500K, or close to those numbers is a reasonable growlight bulb. The red vegetative bulbs are good for weeds including hair algae, either light, if it has more actual wattage, to my understanding, is likely going to provide more usable light for Chaeto growth.

The makers of these lights are generally careful to downplay Par, Kelvin, and actual watts because they want you to guess and buy their light based upon the hype words like "amazing growth, best growth, more growth" and as mentioned, without real numbers I suggest you buy the light with the white spectrum, it is easier to look at for most people. Red is the next best for growth and looking at, and blue is likely bad for your eyes. HTH> :cool:
I’m currently running a grow light I bought from harbor freight, it’s a white light and have had good growth, it’s just not very powerful ~19 watts if I remember correctly so just wanting something with my power.

OP
OP
Blade*13

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, the "purple light" is for cost savings. They just don't add any unnecessary spectrum to the refugium light. I run a fresh water led on my refugium and prefer it. It's a 40 breeder display refuge with dragon breath and red grape macro algae.
Which light are you running?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which light are you running?

OP
OP
Blade*13

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O ok, I had looked at that one. Im debating on trying this cheaper one I found on Amazon. It’s has multiple setting and built in timers.

FANHAO LED Grow Lights, 400W Full Spectrum Grow Lamp with Remote Control Plant Lights for Indoor Plants, 4/8/12H Timer, 4 Dimmable Levels, 3 Switch Modes for Indoor Plants Veg Bloom https://a.co/d/hLHJsDF

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O ok, I had looked at that one. Im debating on trying this cheaper one I found on Amazon. It’s has multiple setting and built in timers.

FANHAO LED Grow Lights, 400W Full Spectrum Grow Lamp with Remote Control Plant Lights for Indoor Plants, 4/8/12H Timer, 4 Dimmable Levels, 3 Switch Modes for Indoor Plants Veg Bloom https://a.co/d/hLHJsDF
Give it a try and let everyone know how it turned out.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is under a stock Fluval light, this one to be specific:

Growing like 4 different macros in there:

IMG_0577.jpeg

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also looking for a replacement light for my refugium. But this time I want to make it look more like a display fuge, with few different macros. What can be the best way to light it up without having to use a red purplish light that is the common choice? I want to enjoy the look of the setting without the harsh reddish looking refugium.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back