OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Here comes the update, as promised.

First, the good news. The subjects have been extricated from their previous locations and are in their new homes.

Now, the bad news. One of the subjects was a bit difficult to prepare. The previous caretaker had quite a bit of base rock (VERY DENSE ROCK) in his tank, and these mushrooms were living on a piece of it. Not being a "fragmeister," I don't have the best tools for the job. So, out came the hammer and chisel (no, this is not a joke). Breaking the rock still turned out to be challenging. Unfortunately, one of the little guys took a real a**kicking in the process. So, we are going to have to factor that into our results. Not catastrophic, but a bit confounding.

Pictures in about 10 minutes.

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay.

Subject #1. The experimental "group." I put this critter in this "home" due to the increased stress the other critter experienced. Obviously, I have changed the way the GFO is situated. I did this due to my inability/unwillingness to cut the rock back any further.
img--0013.jpg

Subject #2. Oops...and OUCH!!! This little guy is going to need to some recovery time.
img--0014.jpg

Fortunately, we are working with mushrooms here. I have all faith that he will recover.

If there is any consolation whatsoever, HE LOOKS LIKE A SHIP HIT HIM!!!

Although this is a humorous experiment, NO, I will not attempt to leave the other in a similar state. These are live animals, afterall.

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tick-tock, tick-tock.

In the meantime...let's multi-task.

Since we are on the topic of experiments, I have 1 more I will conduct while we wait/watch.

Unfortunately, there are comparatively few posts in the Corallimorpharians forum. Further, to my knowledge, DB hasn't hooked us up with an experiment forum to date. I'll try to add to the Corallimorpharian forum post/visit-count by conducting the experiment here. Since the system involved is a mushroom-only system, I think we can justfy doing this.

-----

Finally, I have a "new setup" which is available for another experiment. If anyone has an experiment that this "setup" might be useful for, I will entertain conducting the experiment. Given my interest in mushrooms, all I ask is that the experiment involve at least one mushroom in some way. I do have another system with other types of corals in it. I don't mind experimenting on them, but would like it if the experiment involved mushrooms.

The details: The "setup" includes an old 29g tank that I used as a sump on a 125g that I recently took down. I had a few pounds of sand and rock that I washed, bleached, washed, "vinegar-ed," washed, bleached, washed....ad infinitum. Today, I put the sand and rock in the 29g, added some RO/DI and salt, added a heater, and a MJ-400.

I don't really have any plans for the new setup. So, it is here, if anyone has an experiment they might want to conduct.

I have tons of equipment laying around. I could certainly put it to use to conduct any such experiment.

If I don't have the necessary equipment, DB will buy it.:bigsmile:

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experiment #2. Skimmer vs. Skimmer: Head-to-Head.

NOTICE: If you have come for entertainment, please stick around, and enjoy. If you feel the need to demonstrate your perceived expertise about skimmers at the expense of the entertainment value here, there are more appropriate forums for that. Feel free to visit the "skimmer" forum.

The background: A bit ago, I purchased a tank from a guy (which happened to house the mushrooms which are our subjects in "Experiment 1."). In his possession, he had a skimmer which he acquired from a member of another reef forum site. There was a lot of controversy about this skimmer (well-publicized on "that other site"). Apparently the individual he bought the skimmer from had sold it previously. In shipping the skimmer the first time, it was damaged (NO. NOT DAMAGED. "DEMOLISHED" IS A BETTER TERM). The seller received compensation from the shipping company for the loss. To the astonishment of many, he attempted to resell the skimmer to the guy I got it from, reship the skimmer, and claim that it was damaged during this re-shipping. Unknowingly, this MORON left the original "Claim / Compensation Schedule" in the freaking box with the skimmer. The guy I got the skimmer from confronted him, at which point the seller denied the accusation. Obviously, things quickly went South for the seller.

Jackhole. All for a dollar bill. Yes, there are bad people in the world. If you are such a person, please don't ever talk to me...or anyone else, for that matter!!!

Of course, we are interested in mushrooms here. It is an axiom that all mushroom collectors are good people.:bigsmile:

...meanwhile, back at the ranch...I ended up with this skimmer, which was literally in pieces. Through innumerable reconstructive surgeries, I have managed to get it into operational shape (even if not aesthetically pleasing). It was near-free (I did have to purchase one of each type of "glue" ever made), and fun getting it to where it is.

It turns out that the now-infamous skimmer is a Precision Marine Bullet-1.

Coincidentally, I also own a PM Redline 150.

Hmm, I thought. Two skimmers, same company, same tank ratings, two different technologies. Anyone smell an experiment coming on?

Well, no. The experiment, in my estimation, would be a joke. The RL is a tinker-toy by comparison. Not a bad skimmer, but, not in the same league with the Beckett-injected unit. So, I gave the experiment no more thought.

However, given our current interest in experiments, there is one I think may be fun. I.E., run the Bullet-1 against the SWC Mini-S Cone. NOW WE'RE TALKING!!!

If nothing else, we'll see if we can actually skim Macon herself right out of the tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, without further hesitation...I present Experiment 2:

The system on which our experiment will be conducted is the same as that described previously (the mushroom system, not the "new" 29g tank). The first skimmer is a stock SWC Mini-S skimmer (minus an impeller change). As many have noted previously, there is nothing "Mini" about this thing. It barely fits in my 80g sump. Requiring less than 25w in electricity, it is a real "crowd-pleaser." The second is a Precision Marine Bullet-1 skimmer powered by a 1385gph, roughly 75w draw, Marineland 5500 pump (one of my favorite internal pumps, by the way). This thing is enormous, must sit outside my system, is loud, finicky, power-hungry, and ugly as all-get-up. However, I honestly put my mushrooms (money) on this skimmer in the current experiment.

Again, we don't necessarily need skimmer expertise here. We have read the materials. We are simply having fun here. Take what you will, and file the rest away for later use.

So, let's see what happens. Here are some photgraphs for those who believe that "if there aren't pics, it didn't happen."

img--0016.jpg

img--0015.jpg

It looks like I have some "dialing in" to do. So, I'll get busy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile:

Just a bit of a setback with Experiment 2. The Bullet-1 has sprung a leak. (I love this hobby!) I'm not sure if this is a testament to the DAMAGE that was done to the skimmer originally, or how badly I suck at "gluing" things together. Or, perhaps both?

No worries. The Weld-On is drying. We'll be back up and running in no time.

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, if this doesn't demonstrate the complexities of our beloved hobby...umm...something.

Promised photos:

cid_CCE49B05-364B-4A83-9CDC-E7BFE298E6DE.jpg

cid_7339003D-757E-48B1-BD31-A3F0F9C518A2.jpg

cid_412F6F9B-36F7-4BB0-9DDA-AD779DFF70FB.jpg

Thanks to my friend A.B. for these.

These pictures don't belong to me. As such, I must request that they not be adopted for any purpose.

Last edited:
OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This going to be an insane week for me. I'll try to update progress as I can, but probably wont' be able to for a few days.

In the meantime...

The Bullet-1 is back online, and I'll be dialing the dualing skimmers in over the next few.

The one mushroom is NOT looking bright-eyed/bushy-tailed today. As expected, he will need some recovery time.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a crazy story with the skimmer. At least you ended up with a nice skimmer after it was all said and done.

Thanks for getting that pic of the snail riding anemone. That's pretty cool!

CJ

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a crazy story with the skimmer. At least you ended up with a nice skimmer after it was all said and done.

Thanks for getting that pic of the snail riding anemone. That's pretty cool!

CJ

Indeed, it is a crazy story. Quite honestly, I wish the story "had never happened." Even though I wasn't involved, I would gladly give up the skimmer if the story could be undone.

"If I could waive my magic wand..." (Name the band and album, anyone? Sorry, no FREE Chaca Chaca shrooms for answers to non-coral-related trivia.)

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A brief update...although I promised I wouldn't.

Something odd with Experiment #2. The PM skimmer seemed to require a break-in period. That, in and of itself is not odd at all.

***However, the SWC has also been going through a break-in, even though it has been in the system for quite some time????????????????????????????***

I swore we didn't skimmer expertise, but, I WAS WRONG!!! Anyone ever experienced this???

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Further update, while I am at it.

The PM has officially "lifted off" as of this evening.

The SWC has not.

+1 for the PM, 0 for the SWC.

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. I guess I should have noted...

The SWC sits right near the drains from the upper tanks.

The pump for the PM is in the far end of the sump, next to the return pump. So, I would assume that the SWC is in the advantageous position in terms of getting the "first shot" at the yucky stuff coming from the tanks.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is something up with your photobucket account? I can't see any of the pictures you've been posting on this page alone?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read closely, it says that photobucket is being updated and that the pictures will be back shortly :)

Not sure on the SWC. I've never had an issue with mine.

CJ

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is something up with your photobucket account? I can't see any of the pictures you've been posting on this page alone?

No worries on overlooking the fine print. I actually did the same thing last night.

Humorously, I was trying to figure out why Photobucket was mad at me.:bigsmile:

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read closely, it says that photobucket is being updated and that the pictures will be back shortly :)

Not sure on the SWC. I've never had an issue with mine.

CJ

I don't suspect there is anything wrong with it. It is just odd that it seems to be going through an apparent "break-in."

I have at least two thoughts about it.

1) If oils are responsible for an intitial skimmer break-in, the SWC may have just picked some of these up from the PM. However, both of these skimmers have been fully-operational for quite some time. I just don't see this being the issue.

I may be imagining things, but it seems as though letting a new skimmer "simmer" for a while, then running the level extremely high (so that all of what might be contained in the "column" might be removed) in order to "drain" it seems to reduce the break-in period. However, this is QUITE possibly just my imagination. (Anyone smell experiment #3 coming on? Unfortunately, I am not really interested in purchasing two new skimmers to test that theory.) What I can do is to "drain" both of them tonight, as I perform a water change. It will be interesting to see what happens.

2) Given the fact that I have only one tiny fish, and don't overfeed the mushrooms, the skimmers may just be suffering from lack of yucky stuff (i.e., they're bored). Whether or not this explains the difference between the two is difficult to know. Although I can't say this with certainty, I have certainly seen "bored" skimmers before.

What could account for this difference is the neck diameter (the PM's neck diamter is smaller). Another possibility is that the PM is just functioning "better" at the moment. The results of the remainder of the experiment should be informative.

Time will tell, and I'm having a blast watching.

Last edited:
OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates:
-----
Experiment 1:

Unfortunately, the damaged Rhodactis did not make it. All apologies to the little gal.

I had given the majority of the colony of these critters to a friend of mine (it was a MASSIVE colony). So, some phone calls have been made, and I am in the process of acquiring another one of these.

I had originally pointed out that I "would not give 25 cents for one of these." Guess what. I will now be giving $5 for one of these. AUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

-----
Experiment 2:

As of yesterday, the SWC had not "lifted off." I am guessing that this has to do with the size of the system, dearth of fish, and the absurd amount of water I change (again, 10 percent, 2 times per week). That is, I suspect that there is just not enough yucky stuff to support two skimmers which are already "oversized." So, I have decided to proceed in an alternate direction. Admittedly, this is not an ideal approach. However, many experiements reported on in the scientific literature are designed as such. So, I feel the approach is at least defensible.

The new approach involes a repeated-measures design.

The details...
I will let the PM run for a week. I will store the yucky stuff in a sealed container of some sort.
The following week, I will run the SWC.
The following week, I will run the PM.
Etcetera.

Again, this isn't ideal. However, again, I think this is defensible.

The biggest difficulty I foresee is in matching the "wetness" of the yucky stuff effectively. This might be addressed via evaporation (to get closely-matched densities). I am open to other suggestions.
-----
Experiment 3:

Even those who have read through the fine print of this thread are now going, "HUH? Experiment 3?"

The introduction to Experiment 3 was posted in the WTB forum. That is not the appropriate forum to discuss Experiments, and this is not appropriate forum to discuss WTB interests. So, I can't say much more until I find a suitable way to discuss this (possibly through a blog). For now, I can only say, "1 acquired, but still a long way to go."

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experiment 1- Sorry to hear that. You gave away the colony and now have to pay to get one of the mushrooms back? I'm hoping that I'm misunderstanding that.

Experiment 2- That sounds like and acceptable modification. I do agree that you should evaporate the water out of the samples for a true comparison. In the chemistry labs I have taken, we would actually heat the samples to drive off the water, but it wasn't skimmate and I'd be afraid of breaking down the organic molecules too much and burning off more than water. Better you than me storing skimmate for several weeks!

Experiment 3- Not sure what to say. I've never had a particular liking for Corallimorphs, but your pictures in the the Wanted to Buy and Trading forums have me seriously considering it. The Day the Earth Stood Still mushroom is amazing! I'm guessing you wouldn't want to trade it for a Superman Mushroom?! LOL

CJ

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CJ,

Exp. 1: Well, my friend is a hot-shot buyer/seller. He's always trying making a buck. I don't fault him for that, and he's a lot of fun (he's almost as goofy as I am). He had already sold the colony (go, figure). So, in order to get one, I have to get it from the guy he sold the colony to. Maybe my friend will cover it, but, $5 isn't bad. I'm not too worried about it. I'm just having fun conducting the ridiculous experiment. I glad we can get ahold of one...so, it's worth the $5.

Exp. 2: Happy cows come from Wisconsin (or something like that). I drink lots of MILK. Perfect storage containers, and no major smell to worry about.

As a side note, I am very close to having one of my systems shut down (Maybe even as soon as this weekend. BIG SIGH OF RELIEF!!!) Once I get everyone rehomed, I plan to clean it and connect it to the system we've been working with. It's only 60 gallons (across 3 lagoon tanks and 40g sump), but combined with the 29g that has just been filled with water/sand/rock, it may be reasonable to at least try the LITERAL "head-to-head" again. We shall see.

Exp. 3: As I have noted elsewhere...It is my goal in life to convince all SPS and LPS coral lovers to abandon their current interests and come over to the "soft side." I have at least distracted you, even if only for a moment!!! Give me some time to get some good photos, and a few more Friday Night threads, and you will undoubtedly be converted...no question about it.:bigsmile:

Unfortunately, I simply can not comment about the trade you mention. I cause enough trouble around here, as it is.

However, by saying WHAT you did, and by saying it WHERE you said it, you have 1) copped to owning a shroom yourself, and 2) been observed associating with Corallimorph-type folk. See, you are getting closer to being fully-converted, as we speak!!! I see a lagoon tank in your future, my friend.:bigsmile:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back