OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, on to the experiment.

Here is the chosen media. For those without "scientificky" background, this is our IV (Independent Variable). This is what we are manipulating. Our DV (Dependent Variable) is our outcome (growth rate, in our case). Our DV is "dependent" on the manipulation of our IV.
Phosban.jpg

Here is how much DB is in for if this doesn't work.:bigsmile:
Price_Tag.jpg

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the homes-within-a-home. Our subjects will be staying in these for a while.

These belong to the Governor (my wife). Please don't tell her of their whereabouts, lest I get grounded, and have to abort the experiment prematurely.

P.S., No, my wife is not really an official Governor. She just governs me.
Container.jpg

The chosen LEVEL (amount) of our IV. I don't personally use any phosphate removers. However, I have seen (1) and heard of (more than 1) tanks crashing as a result of Phosban OVERDOSE. So, I'm starting with a small amount.
Phosban_In_Media_Bag.jpg

"House" number one, with sand. (Fortunately, I still have a bit of sand in my sump.) This would be the house of our CONTROL GROUP (the critter in here WILL NOT be exposed to the manipulation of the IV).
Container_with_Sand.jpg

House number two, with sand. This would be the house of our EXPERIMENTAL GROUP (this critter WILL be exposed to the manipulation of the IV).
Container2_with_Sand.jpg

Both "homes" within their "home." Obviously, something bad has happened to this picture. I am not knowledgeable enough to know what (white balance or something?).
The_Battlefield.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I suspect leaving these alone for a day or so would be a good idea.

I will let them "settle in," and will chop up the rock our subjects live on in the meantime.

I will provide an update when the subjects are ready.

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the photograph of the new Inchoatas, there is something hot pink towards the upper right of the picture. I have no clue what it is, but it is not an artifact in the image. Hmm?!? Maybe there's a world-class shroom there, afterall? Time will tell, but likely just wishful thinking.

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you going to be opening up the baggy?

What baggy? The media bag?

If so, no. I suspect the GFO would burn the living crap out of the shroom. Of course, I could be mistaken. SEE, THIS IS WHERE WE NEED THE INPUT FROM SOMEONE WITH LOTS OF PHOSBAN EXPERIENCE!!! HELP!!!

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks to be a polyp stickin out of the water some

Whatever that is was definitely out of the water in the picture. But that doesn't account for the difference in color. It is quite a different color, even under water.

I would get another picture of it, but I can't get pictures when they are in the QT (impossible to navigate). I would have to take the rock back out.

Maybe I'll do that in a day or so, if the "thing" gives good reason to.

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, the media bag is just barely covered with sand. Just enough to keep the shroom from getting burned, if it touches the sand.

Again, IF ANYONE HAS MORE KNOWLEDGE THAN ME ABOUT THE GFO, PLEASE CHIME IN.

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone who really gives a crap, here is a picture of a Rhodactis Howesii or two. Here we are possibly stepping across some copyright infringement boundaries. If anyone gets upset, DB said he will pay the fine.:bigsmile:

If personnel at the FLMNH and U of F are interested, we will be more than happy to forward them a FREE Chaca Chaca shroom for their efforts. Although there may be limited supply initially, all legal authority organizations are entitle to FREE Chaca Chaca shrooms as well. However they, as well as any research facilities who wish to investigate our Chaca Chaca shrooms, will need to cover shipping costs.:bigsmile:

In all seriousness, to give credit where it is due, this picture was acquired via:
Rhodactis howesii Guam 391-24

Howesii.jpg

Last edited:

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting idea.....I'll be watching this thread closely,my 'shrooms don't seem to grow/spread like most peoples do so I'm interested to learn something that might help them to grow :D

I'm thinking that the worst case scenario is that your phosphate may be lowered a little :D

good luck with the experiment

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see results, what a fun idea! Not a whole lot of experience with gfo but what I can say is that in my limited experience, running too much of it (I use PhosAr) seems to be detrimental to my sps and leaves the shrooms at the least unaffected and at best potentially doing better - interestingly enough, especially the howesii!

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone who is following along...everything seems to be in order here. There have been no strange tank reactions to the Phosban. Keep in mind, that there is only a very small amount in there now, though.

I suspect I could put the mushrooms in their new homes tomorrow. So, I will post some pictures of them as they are "relocating."

WE STILL NEED TO KNOW TWO THINGS:

1) Will coming in direct contact with Phosban burn or otherwise irritate the mushroom?
2) Should I ultimately let the Phosban out of the media bag? Will it tend to blow all over the tank, given that it is a low-current tank, and the media would be in the "home-within-a-home?"

Regardless, we can get this underway. But, it would be good to have these answers moving forward.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the burning- we're going to have to just try it out IMO- we're trying to see if the metallic properties of the GFO are similar to the metallic properties of the wrecks, and if that's the cause of their growth. If the GFO burns them and toasts them, we'll know that it's not a good choice for the experiment as it's obviously not similar enough to work.

The phosban being in the tank as opposed to a reactor is actually less contact than it would receive in a reactor in terms of the water column, so that won't be an issue. It blowing all over the place will be though. What size are the granules supplied in that stuff? I was originally thinking something like BRS's larger granules. Try pouring a small amount of gfo into some sand in a container, and slowly lowering it into the water- if it floats, seems to get stirred up, etc. there's the answer. If it doesn't, well, there's the answer, lol.

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the burning- we're going to have to just try it out IMO- we're trying to see if the metallic properties of the GFO are similar to the metallic properties of the wrecks, and if that's the cause of their growth. If the GFO burns them and toasts them, we'll know that it's not a good choice for the experiment as it's obviously not similar enough to work.

The phosban being in the tank as opposed to a reactor is actually less contact than it would receive in a reactor in terms of the water column, so that won't be an issue. It blowing all over the place will be though. What size are the granules supplied in that stuff? I was originally thinking something like BRS's larger granules. Try pouring a small amount of gfo into some sand in a container, and slowly lowering it into the water- if it floats, seems to get stirred up, etc. there's the answer. If it doesn't, well, there's the answer, lol.

As far as the first part of this...Would the ship not have sludge built up on it, which would protect the shrooms?

Perhaps I'm just a bit paranoid. I guess we could always pull him off if he starts to look bad.

KEEP IN MIND...THIS IS YOUR CHACA CHACA SHROOM!!! YOU DON'T WANT ME TO KILL HIM, DO YOU?!?

As far as the second part...The granules are tiny. I looked for the bigger stuff, but, had no luck. The only other place to get it here is a pond supply, and I was too lazy to go there (plus they don't have shrooms I could pick up!!!). I guess we'll see how the initial placement goes, and go from there. If we kill YOUR shroom, we won't have anything left to buy. If we don't kill YOUR shroom, maybe I'll move them to the calmest place in the tank and open the bag, or just order some from BRS. Unfortunately, I don't really need anything else from there right now. But, a man has to do what a man has to do... If it fails, you were buying anyway. So, I won't be out anything in the end!!!:bigsmile:

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny, the contract I was meant to sign never showed up :tongue:

but you're right, there would be some form of 'slime' algae or something that would attach to the ship, but wouldn't the shrooms displace/destroy the algae by suffocation at some point and then be adhering to the steel? Plus the steel is coated with some rather powerful paint (unless they strip it before sinking them?)

OP
OP
macon77

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, the contract is on its way. You should receive it in the mail any time now. I sent it "signature required" as well. So no funny stuff.

So, what you are saying then, is that I need to paint the Phosban now?:bigsmile: ****, this gets more involved by the day. Now you are in for a can of paint, too!!! (...not to mention the tiny paintbrush I'll need...)

From experience, I do know that the shrooms will attach to the paint. The plywood tank is epoxy-paint covered. If I don't move the loose shrooms around periodically, they will attach themselves to it rather quickly (particularly the St. Thomas shrooms).

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm...have you noticed any increase in growth when they attach to the epoxy? No joke- but naval ships ARE painted with epoxy to protect against rust- so if they show a favoritism to attaching to it, that's another variable for why there's an increase in growth around the wreck.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back