Fritz Salt Issues?

Hamada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Fritz blue box for 7 months on a brand new 100gal tank. After the 7 months i started using Fritz red box as my 100gal is almost full of coral and have about 20 fish. I have had 0 issues with Fritz and actually really love their salt mix. I clean my ro/di and saltwater reservoir weekly. I'd just wait on your icp tests to come in. Hang tight reefer! Things will get better just stay on top of it and be positive despite your losses.

Attachments

• Snapchat-2143245844.mp4
    20.4 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It don't really matter I have moved on to tropic Marin pro salt. Cost doesn't matter because my corals are worth every penny. At the end of the day I know I have a certain brand and not anything else. Thank you
I only answered because you asked. And you're welcome

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Fritz blue box for 7 months on a brand new 100gal tank. After the 7 months i started using Fritz red box as my 100gal is almost full of coral and have about 20 fish. I have had 0 issues with Fritz and actually really love their salt mix. I clean my ro/di and saltwater reservoir weekly. I'd just wait on your icp tests to come in. Hang tight reefer! Things will get better just stay on top of it and be positive despite your losses.
Super nice! I will open mine tomorrow

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruh...YT be lying?!
79260BD0-0394-4EFE-8E0C-BFD54D1309FB.png

Really...so he went from 9K 3 months ago to 174K now.??? Ahh... highly doubt that.

So, tell me the “title” of the video below and it’s published date?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have any evidence of this claim? I emailed LiveAquaria and they assured me they are not the same salt or made by the same manufacturer.
Did you check the links I posted - read the directions and description of the 2 salts - they are literally 'word for word' in many cases - and very similar (using one different word) in many others. There may be some very slight differences - making them 'not the same salt' - but - I havent seen any other company with anything close to the mixing instructions for the 2 salts.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check the links I posted - read the directions and description of the 2 salts - they are literally 'word for word' in many cases - and very similar (using one different word) in many others. There may be some very slight differences - making them 'not the same salt' - but - I havent seen any other company with anything close to the mixing instructions for the 2 salts.

Yea sorry man I missed that post. After checking out the links I must admit it’s pretty convincing. I wonder why they would tell me it wasn’t, you wouldn’t think they would out right lie.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really...so he went from 9K 3 months ago to 174K now.??? Ahh... highly doubt that.

So, tell me the “title” of the video below and it’s published date?

I’m just showing you what I saw, that one time it showed me over 400k!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use LA salt now and my tanks are doing well.

I did have one bad batch of fritz salt with very high Mg that wiped out a bunch of shrimp and clams.

MVIMG_20190809_002515.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also use LA salt, have no salt related issues to report. Tank has seen better days but i had a prolonged power outage while i was away. Corals have been slowly recovering since.
Hard to find a salt at this price point and an alkalinity not around 11 dkh.

Doesn’t LA use their salt at their coral farm? Wouldn’t an issue this large be seen by them long before a hobbyist found one? I just find it hard to believe they would allow a product, that is probably a small fraction of their business; kill creatures that Keep their lights on.

About the labels, another just as likely possibility is they plagiarized a box of fritz instructions. https://www.boredpanda.com/people-c...oogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic. Not as scientific as other links in this thread

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also use LA salt, have no salt related issues to report. Tank has seen better days but i had a prolonged power outage while i was away. Corals have been slowly recovering since.

Doesn’t LA use their salt at their coral farm? Wouldn’t an issue this large be seen by them long before a hobbyist found one? I just find it hard to believe they would allow a product, that is probably a small fraction of their business; kill creatures that Keep their lights on.

About the labels, another just as likely possibility is they plagiarized a box of fritz instructions. https://www.boredpanda.com/people-c...oogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic. Not as scientific as other links in this thread

Dont know - but the mixing instructions are 'identical' no other salt requires this type of 'mixing' (of which I'm aware). With so many people having no problem - and looking at the complexity of the instructions for mixing - my guess is that there could be many reasons for problems

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Not necessarily... If a Few bad batches went out with the volume they use it may have never shown up..
Have you ever seen their holding tank for saltwater? I have.

Like I have said earlier I have had several bad batches of salt from several manufactures. I had a box of RC once that had one bad bag in it and the rest were fine.

Who knows why there are bad batches of salt I do not work for a salt manufacturer. ... It could come down to a disgruntle employee or someone who is against the hobby. A machine breaks down or needs service, Maybe they got a bad batch of chemicals from someone else. I mean how many people test their salt when they open a new bag or bucket? Just because you have no issues it does not mean someone else may not have. Maybe your salt is from a different batch or a older batch and have not seen the issue yet. I have almost always tested my new salt for calcium and alk since my first bad batch, with my last bad batch being way high in magnesium I now test for it too...
I go through allot of salt and have been in the reef hobby 30+ years an saltwater even longer. I have been asked to test salt for companies. 25 years ago I thought salt were pretty much the same..

I am not saying it is the salt, I am just saying it is possible.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going out on a limb here - assuming 'circulating the water' doesn't raise the temperature higher than circulating the water in the tank (into which the water is being put) - how could circulating the water cause a problem - in a salt container.

BTW - I always mix up my salt - and let it circulate overnight - and then use it (per instructions) - I dont 'store saltwater'. Curious - could something (mold, bacteria) be growing in a storage tank - which then results in toxicity when that water is used?
Circulating without heating cannot be a problem in any way that I know of, except settling out of insoluble materials.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Circulating without heating cannot be a problem in any way that I know of, except settling out of insoluble materials.

Randy, I’m curious about the best way to mix salt. I know BRS did some videos on this a while back but I missed that series.

Should we mix with or without heat?

Should we kill the pump after mixing?

Kill pump and heater after mixing?

Kill only heater after mixing?

I’m not sure why mine precipitated so bad this past batch. I need to figure this out.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I’m curious about the best way to mix salt. I know BRS did some videos on this a while back but I missed that series.

Should we mix with or without heat?

Should we kill the pump after mixing?

Kill pump and heater after mixing?

Kill only heater after mixing?

I’m not sure why mine precipitated so bad this past batch. I need to figure this out.
On the box of Fritz it says to mix at room temp, once mixed add heater but it does not say to stop mixing.

carlos0102

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my aussielord has been "sick" it's been gradually receding anyone know what it could be

Nearest coral to is, is about 2 inches
The other 2 aussielords seem to be perfectly fine

20190919_124917.jpg 20190919_125000.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back