Frogfish

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put any frog fish in a squared 15 gal it has a protein skimmer and it has a curved glass
I never had one but I think it should be fine. Wartskins are commonly recommended in 20 gallon tank sizes, and 5 gallons less won’t make a huge difference if you have a good protein skimmer and a water change schedule.

That being said, how do you plan on feeding it? I think people culture freshwater ghost shrimp for them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had one but I think it should be fine. Wartskins are commonly recommended in 20 gallon tank sizes, and 5 gallons less won’t make a huge difference if you have a good protein skimmer and a water change schedule.

That being said, how do you plan on feeding it? I think people culture freshwater ghost shrimp for them.
I was thinking silversides or peppermint shrimp
Also one last thing what crustaceans can I put in with the frogfish

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe hermits because I take it shells wouldn't be too tasty. I'm no frogfish expert but I'd expect most crustaceans to be meals for a predator like a frogfish lol

Upvote 0

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking silversides or peppermint shrimp
Also one last thing what crustaceans can I put in with the frogfish
When you say crustaceans, do you mean shrimps or crabs? Shrimps are not going to survive long term with a frog fish, but most shelled creatures will do fine I.e snails, hermit crabs, urchins etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say crustaceans, do you mean shrimps or crabs? Shrimps are not going to survive long term with a frog fish, but most shelled creatures will do fine I.e snails, hermit crabs, urchins etc.
Ya I was thinking like 2 blue legged hermits and 2 snails

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as I understand it, shelled things will be fine - the frogfish can’t digest the shells. Blue legs and snails would almost certainly be fine.

Also, I’ve heard that frogfish can be hard to train onto frozen foods (like silversides that most people have access to) - and they seem to do better on live foods anyway - so most people feed them primarily ghost or grass shrimp (you can find freshwater and saltwater species of these feeders, some people might prefer freshwater to try and avoid disease, others might prefer saltwater for possibly better nutrition), with guppies and/or mollies as occasional foods. Peppermint shrimp would get pretty expensive pretty quick.

If you have access to live silverside fish, that would be great. I’d try to find out the species and check the nutrition to see if they would work long term or just as snacks for the frogfish.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back