Frogspawn advice please.

The Fish Tank Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a small frogspawn frag for a few weeks and it has been doing awesome!

Today during my water change I had an accident.

As I was adding the water in from my 1 gallon pitcher, I accidently (almost dropped) the pitcher but didn't. However as I lost control for a second, a large amount of flow fell right where the frogspawn was sitting. I did about a 30 percent water change but as my tank is small - the frogspawn was sitting in only about a foot to a foot and a half of water as the turbulent water came rushing down.

Afterwards, about 5 minutes later - as I was checking on the tank after the water change - I noticed the back of the head of the frogspawn - just as inflated and happy as it has always been. However, about 1/4th of the front of the tentacles are sort of limp(but still plump) but under that - I also noticed 1 super skinny tentacle that is limp.

Any advice? Tips? Am I doomed? Obviously, I need to be more careful in the future during water changes! But this has me down a tad as I'm worried I damage do the guy and this is my first coral I received.

Thanks everyone in advance - Josh

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a small frogspawn frag for a few weeks and it has been doing awesome!

Today during my water change I had an accident.

As I was adding the water in from my 1 gallon pitcher, I accidently (almost dropped) the pitcher but didn't. However as I lost control for a second, a large amount of flow fell right where the frogspawn was sitting. I did about a 30 percent water change but as my tank is small - the frogspawn was sitting in only about a foot to a foot and a half of water as the turbulent water came rushing down.

Afterwards, about 5 minutes later - as I was checking on the tank after the water change - I noticed the back of the head of the frogspawn - just as inflated and happy as it has always been. However, about 1/4th of the front of the tentacles are sort of limp(but still plump) but under that - I also noticed 1 super skinny tentacle that is limp.

Any advice? Tips? Am I doomed? Obviously, I need to be more careful in the future during water changes! But this has me down a tad as I'm worried I damage do the guy and this is my first coral I received.

Thanks everyone in advance - Josh
No worries let it ride ...I have had frogspawn for over 15 yrs and they are dry when I do water changes for at least 10 minutes it looks shriveled for a little while then it's fine over the years they've been through the wringer and they've always rebounded so don't panic

15709219149537764715087518412402.jpg

OP
OP
The Fish Tank Hobbyist

The Fish Tank Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries let it ride ...I have had frogspawn for over 15 yrs and they are dry when I do water changes for at least 10 minutes it looks shriveled for a little while then it's fine over the years they've been through the wringer and they've always rebounded so don't panic

Geez - your frogspawn is huge!! Do you ever frag any and ship out - or by chance are you near Dayton, Ohio!!! I hope my current one rebounds - but even so - I do eventually want to add another head in a location above my current one to create a stair step effect of them!

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez - your frogspawn is huge!! Do you ever frag any and ship out - or by chance are you near Dayton, Ohio!!! I hope my current one rebounds - but even so - I do eventually want to add another head in a location above my current one to create a stair step effect of them!
I cut it monthly my local fish store loves it I would like to reduce it by 50% but the stores I bring it to will only take so much

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What a beast !!! It will return to full overnight

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! That’s huge! It looks like it would fill up my entire BioCube. Want to share any with an elementary school classroom? Depending on the price I would buy some the next time you cut it.

OP
OP
The Fish Tank Hobbyist

The Fish Tank Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love some of your frogspawn as well! And.... I am also a teacher and a coach! No joke! If you want to help a good guy out - let me know.

Here is the team I coach for our school district - 75,000 views in one week. We do halftime shows all over the country!

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love some of your frogspawn as well! And.... I am also a teacher and a coach! No joke! If you want to help a good guy out - let me know.

Here is the team I coach for our school district - 75,000 views in one week. We do halftime shows all over the country!

Wow that's some talented girls I didn't even know there was such a sport I grew up wrestling and I spent countless hours jump roping to lose weight but I'd say that takes it to a whole new level

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Forget about fish and corals for a minute!
These girls are amazing!!! Unbelievable!

OP
OP
The Fish Tank Hobbyist

The Fish Tank Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are working on another routine for this year at the moment!!! Lining up lots of games all over the country! Stay tuned to our website - www.troypoprocks.com Our schedule will be coming out in late October or November.

And - I am still interested in some of your frogspawn!! Would you be interested in sending me a head or two or 3? I'm near Dayton, OH!

OP
OP
The Fish Tank Hobbyist

The Fish Tank Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a day of looking better, this guy is back to looking funky again. I uploaded a video and am including it below.

Here are some more notes on this guy and when I noticed it all happened.

First the front 1/4th of the tentacles(are those called polyps?) got a lot smaller and limp after my last water change this past Saturday. The back 3/4ths of the coral was still nice and plump. This is still the case today - Over all less plump today but still sort of more plump in the back and looking not as good in the front.

During that water change a few days ago I lost control of my 1 gallon pitcher for a second and a bunch of water came right down and hit this guy with some extreme flow. I was worried I may have structurally damaged the guy with that accident - based off how it looked about 5 minutes after the water change - more details as noted in my first post about this above!

A few extra NOTES:

After the water change my DKH went from 10 to 9.7 or 9.6. Not a huge drop but still a drop. My ph went to 7.8 from 8 after the change.

I had some issues with the water I purchased for my water change. The nw water is all sitting at an Alkalinity of 8.5 and is supposed to be Red Sea coral pro - which should be much higher than 8.5. BRS INVESTIGATES did a video on this as well and it showed that in storage Red Sea coral pro will eventually drop but only after more than 3 weeks of storage. I received this water last week and did a water change on Saturday.

At any rate - there were some fluctuations in parameters but not a huge change. As mentioned, Ph was 8 and went to 7.8. Dkh was 10 and went to 9.6 or 9.7

Yesterday and Sunday the frogspawn seemed to be getting back to close to normal. Today, it’s back to not as healthy looking. Today a new issue is that the mouth seems a lot more open (like an extreme amount) compared to what it has normally been as of late.

Is this thing struggling right now based on the video? Is it getting ready to split? Anything you guys can tell based on all your guys experience?

Thanks - Josh

OP
OP
The Fish Tank Hobbyist

The Fish Tank Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light is a long story. I just received an ai prime hd right before they released the brand new model - the ai prime 16 that was just released. The company said they would exchange it for the new one as soon as it gets there which is supposed to be by next Monday. In order to exchange it they said I could not open the ai prime I just received. So I’m supplementing light at the moment with a coral par 38 bulb and an rgb blue light.

Does this look like lighting damage or an issue of light to you? Too bright or to dim? I’ll be glad when the prime 16 gets here and I can set it and forget it!

I really appreciate your help.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the video it looks like the deflated side of the coral is being hit by the current. Could be to much.. I see a lot of stuff going across and up in the current. If the frag is glued to the rock try changing the current or put another rock next to it to block the flow. Try that for a day or two

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frog spawn like very low flow.. the slower the flow the more the tentacles come out...

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's an amazing size coral. Do you have a full tank shot? You must have issues of shadowing of the lower heads?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't sweat it... This is mine during water changes... water drained low enough they stick out of the water looking like all the heads will fall off...but they are just fine and dandy!

MVIMG_20190609_185955.thumb.jpg.f681226aac8f4f20c94c091578c565e2.jpg

OP
OP
The Fish Tank Hobbyist

The Fish Tank Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow wise.. it’s pretty low flow in there. The water you see passing is only from the hob filter. No other pump in there.

The thing about flow and why I don’t think that is it - for several weeks - it’s been in the exact same place and no issues at all until the water change and trying Red Sea pro. Prior to that it had been in instant ocean. I changed 3 gallons on Saturday. Accidenty blasted it with the water change. After that the results were 7.8 ph from 8. 9.7 or 9.6 DKH from 10. The new water had some parameter differences that I am not happy about.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OMG! That’s huge! It looks like it would fill up my entire BioCube. Want to share any with an elementary school classroom? Depending on the price I would buy some the next time you cut it.
We are flying into Sanford on Spring break 2020, do you live close to there?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My son's frogspawn is very moody too. It always bounces back.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back