Frogspawn dying phosphates too high?

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar happened to me. Just lost my frogspawn and hammers for some reason. Water is stable and nothing has changed. Same top off water and everything. Still upset about it but it is what it is. Everything else in the tank look normal.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any cleaner shrimp that are digging around inside of it trying to get food out when you feed

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True....but what is 0 nitrates on a Salifert kit with GHA/cheato growth in display/refuge? I don't fret over numbers anymore, I know some people chase numbers and when I hear "corals" suffer with low numbers or high numbers. I want a list of types and species since many have different tolerances.
I did not read OP had chaeto growing in the display. Where did you read that?

Didn’t you just say your hammer didn’t like you reducing nutrients too? I would like to see your corals that do well in 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate.

My corals that didn’t like it...especially monti’s they RTNed. Euphylia looked horrible but survived. Everything, and I mean everything looked like crap. Now that I took skimmer out and dose nitrate and phosphate, things are recovering and getting new growth.
07F5350C-48E0-4AD7-A78A-D7AA7D8D0FA4.jpeg

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I used this when my RODI went bad. But like @Sick_man wrote a lot of people say it “may” have copper in it. I used from Walgreens, Did not have a problem, but never had it tested Either.
is there a specific way I can test my top off water?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just use a TDS meter on the top off.
If it’s anymore than 5 ppm, don’t use it.

Always look for pests. Dip.

Stoney corals don’t need nitrate, but they must have phosphate, below .1ppm but higher than 0.03ppm

Also, carbon dosing is beneficial as it feeds the bacteria, that eats the phosphate, which in turn is consumed by coral polyps

40F3F5A7-8819-4EE1-A88E-78C62E016205.jpeg

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just use a TDS meter on the top off.
If it’s anymore than 5 ppm, don’t use it.

Always look for pests. Dip.

Stoney corals don’t need nitrate, but they must have phosphate, below .1ppm but higher than 0.03ppm

Also, carbon dosing is beneficial as it feeds the bacteria, that eats the phosphate, which in turn is consumed by coral polyps

40F3F5A7-8819-4EE1-A88E-78C62E016205.jpeg
all my sis are looking good and will the vermited snails be a problem

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a specific way I can test my top off water?
I used this test. You can do an ICP on your top off water and the water in your tank. It takes a long time (2 weeks) for results because it goes to Germany. But at least you know what you are dealing with.
ATI ICP-OES Complete Saltwater Water Test Kit

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this test. You can do an ICP on your top off water and the water in your tank. It takes a long time (2 weeks) for results because it goes to Germany. But at least you know what you are dealing with.
ATI ICP-OES Complete Saltwater Water Test Kit

okay thanks. if my corals are still looking bad after I change my top off water I will send in an ICP test.

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feed. but I do have a peppermint shrimp
When you feed your fish if there are fish in this tank does any of that food end up Landing in the Frog spawn that that peppermint shrimp is trying to steal from it. They have sharp spiny kegs that easly tear up the soft flesh.

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you feed your fish if there are fish in this tank does any of that food end up Landing in the Frog spawn that that peppermint shrimp is trying to steal from it. They have sharp spiny kegs that easly tear up the soft flesh.
no I don't think so. could it be because I have too much ammonia in the tank?

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no I don't think so. could it be because I have too much ammonia in the tank?
If not I would definitely look into getting one of these no questions asked otherwise you have no clue what is going into your tank in the water that's being used in this could definitely cause issues

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t exactly know my nitrate levels I bought a salivary test kit it’s coming soon. Can I use distilled water from the grocery store because my lfs is far from home?
Maybe invest in a cheap RODI system like the RODI buddy to hook into your hose outlet. They’re like 50$ and get your tds (total dissolved solvents - the bad stuff) pretty low.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back