Frogspawn Not Doing Well

SeSpeedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I bought this frogspawn a few months ago and over time I’ve noticed something is off. The tentacles of this frag seem to be getting “smaller” and somewhat darker over time. The tissue is still there just not as healthy as before. Just yesterday it has begun to look even more sickly than the slow downward progression that I have been following. My other corals look good and this one has stumped me. Here are two pictures one when I just purchased the frag and now. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Seth

C0474EB9-A4B2-4781-8600-5E5A170D8FBA.jpeg

BF399DD5-027D-4749-81C7-82B5F131384E.jpeg

OP
OP
S

SeSpeedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I bought this frogspawn a few months ago and over time I’ve noticed something is off. The tentacles of this frag seem to be getting “smaller” and somewhat darker over time. The tissue is still there just not as healthy as before. Just yesterday it has begun to look even more sickly than the slow downward progression that I have been following. My other corals look good and this one has stumped me. Here are two pictures one when I just purchased the frag and now. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Seth

C0474EB9-A4B2-4781-8600-5E5A170D8FBA.jpeg

BF399DD5-027D-4749-81C7-82B5F131384E.jpeg
Also my parameters all seem to be good. At test them at least 1 a week with a weekly water change.

OP
OP
S

SeSpeedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is "good"? We need to know.
Lighting? Flow?
Alk
Cal
Mag
No3
Po4
Better pic under a whiter light.

From what I can see, flesh has been receding for some time.
Flow is just from return pump. I have thought that getting a wave maker would be a good investment. Light is an a80 on full intensity.

Alk: 9.3
Cal: 340(tested just before weekly dosing)
Mag: I don’t currently have a mag testing kit
NO3: below 5 ppm
PO4: below .05
Ph: 8.2

I think the light or flow might be the issue. I try to stay on top of my parameters and they have been stable since purchasing it. But I’m fairly new to reef keeping so what do I know

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is just from return pump. I have thought that getting a wave maker would be a good investment. Light is an a80 on full intensity.

I think the light or flow might be the issue. I try to stay on top of my parameters and they have been stable since purchasing it. But I’m fairly new to reef keeping so what do I know
Not sure on that light. Do you know about what par?
Return pump flow in a 20 gallon could be way different in a 200 gallon. So, what size pump, speed it's on and into what size tank?? Most tanks need a power head to give that extra flow.

As stated, calcium is low. Your goal should be about 420.
Nitrates, lavey said 10 would be good but in my tank, the hammers and all LPS have been thriving with 5 or less.
Mag, well that's a test you won't be using much but it is important to know that it's at least 1350.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is this. The a80 is only 15 watts. How long has the tank been running. How long have you had the other frog?

OP
OP
S

SeSpeedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is "good"? We need to know.
Lighting? Flow?
Alk
Cal
Mag
No3
Po4
Better pic under a whiter light.

From what I can see, flesh has been receding for some time.
Here’s a picture as well!
Not sure on that light. Do you know about what par?
Return pump flow in a 20 gallon could be way different in a 200 gallon. So, what size pump, speed it's on and into what size tank?? Most tanks need a power head to give that extra flow.

As stated, calcium is low. Your goal should be about 420.
Nitrates, lavey said 10 would be good but in my tank, the hammers and all LPS have been thriving with 5 or less.
Mag, well that's a test you won't be using much but it is important to know that it's at least 1350.
It’s the jbj 10 gallon cube with the return pump included in the kit. The kessil a80 from my research seems to be good on this small of a tank. My zoas have been growing new polyps and my candy cane as well. Can’t give an exact par reading though.

OP
OP
S

SeSpeedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is this. The a80 is only 15 watts. How long has the tank been running. How long have you had the other frog?
It’s a 10 gallon cube. The tank has been going for about 8 months now and the other frog went in about a month after the first.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These coral are photosynthetic and therefore respond to UV strength and increase/reduction in lighting. One of the more important requirements for frogspawn is Placement. It is an overlooked element that contributes to the overall acclimation and sustainability of your frogspawn. Some hobbyists simply choose to, Put it where is looks best but to reduce the amount of strain on your specimen, you should ideally place it in an area of your tank similar to the area in which you found it when you purchased it or where there is moderate light.
Another consideration to account for during the placement of your coral is the amount of light it will be receiving. This decision should never be random; should never be haphazard. Although capable of doing quite well in a relatively large range of lighting levels, ideally, your Frogspawn Corals do best when provided a moderate amount of lighting, with many hobbyists finding success with an added bit, or partial, shading. Euphyllia (theyre a member of this group) do not enjoy direct high lighting. Keep in mind that the amount of lighting and the degree of water flow work hand-in-hand in sustaining healthy coral life and growth. Although technically capable of survival, frogspawn DO NOT appreciate high or even moderately high flow. They will open much bigger in gentle flow, and will be able to grow into those beautiful serene tendrils that you see swaying within your habitat. (see my pic below- this was a size of a quarter a year ago and now 6"x4")
I cannot overemphasize the incredible importance of both lighting as well as placement. Never, ever haphazardly place your corals, select your lighting, or randomly pair different specimens or species within a tank, and just hope for the best. Remember, like any coral, Frogspawn Coral requires a very specific amount of lighting, and in this case, it’s not a whole lot. Unlike many other corals, Frogspawn Corals don’t require a whole lot of lighting. They are also 100 PAR, but even levels as low as 50 PAR will work well for this beautiful species.
To ensure successful acclimation, growth, and just overall, general health, your Frogspawn Corals prefer a moderate to strong water flow within your habitat. Interestingly enough, you can control the growth .If you want to look for a more contract compacted look, a higher flow will help you to achieve that. If you want a more extended, sway appearance from your Frogspawn, a low to moderate flow.

1654310533819.png

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, those pumps are not big enough and don't offer enough flow for the tank.
You wouldn't need a very big one for that size tank.

If you would like to read the full article that vetteguy53081 cut and pasted as his own work, it is right here.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back